Friday, March 22, 2013
Kids, got a business or community activity idea?
Put your idea together, present it to a bunch of adults and you could get some money to get it started.
The deadline to submit applications for Gorge Soup for Kids is April 17.
The next Gorge Soup event, for kids, will be May 14 at Springhouse Cellar Winery.
Tickets for Gorge Soup for Kids are $35 apiece. To purchase tickets, go to: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/282394.
At Gorge Soup, people have dinner, hear “pitches” from those requesting funding, and then vote.
At the last Gorge Soup for Kids, the winner received more than $1,700 with two other student groups winning as well. (Keenan Collins, 15, started his teen gallery, New Leaf, with his grant.)
Applications are to be mailed and postmarked by April 17, and sent to the following address: Gorge Soup, 14 Oak St., Ste. 302, Hood River, OR 97031. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
For details email email@example.com.
More like this story
- Death notices for May 4: Jerry Osbourn, Edward Adams, and John Phillips
- Service announcement for May 4: Audrey Thornton
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge