Friday, March 22, 2013
The Spring Humanities Series 10th Anniversary Retrospective will begin April 3 with a presentation by Flor Fernandez Barrios. The event will take place from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth St. in The Dalles.
Celebrating its 10th anniversary, the series is taking a look back, inviting some of its and its audiences’ favorite speakers over the past decade to return and update us on their lives, work and perspectives. To ask, “What change or progress related to your series topic has occurred since we last met you?”
The series is presented by Columbia Gorge Community College and Gorge Literacy.
Admission is free; suggested donation is $5. For more information call 541-506-6047.
The schedule is as follows:
n April 3 — Flor Fernández Barrios (2004 Writers Series), author of “Blessed by Thunder,” “Mask of Oya” and “Candela,” 7-8:30 p.m. at The Dalles Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth St.
n April 10 — Ladan Yalzadeh (2007 Middle East Series), Iranian screenwriter, filmmaker, artist and event designer, 7-8:30 p.m. at Springhouse Cellar Winery, 13 Railroad Ave., Hood River
n April 17 — American Sign Language Poets (2012 Voices Less Heard Series), Oregon School for the Deaf poetry Out Loud champion and finalist, 7-8:30 p.m. at Columbia Center for the Arts, 215 Cascade Ave., Hood River
n April 24 — Steven T. Wax (2008 Social Justice Series), Federal public defender, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit “Kafka Comes to America: Fighting for Justice in the War on Terror,” 7-8:30 p.m. at The Dalles Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth St., The Dalles.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge