Friday, March 22, 2013
The Spring Humanities Series 10th Anniversary Retrospective will begin April 3 with a presentation by Flor Fernandez Barrios. The event will take place from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth St. in The Dalles.
Celebrating its 10th anniversary, the series is taking a look back, inviting some of its and its audiences’ favorite speakers over the past decade to return and update us on their lives, work and perspectives. To ask, “What change or progress related to your series topic has occurred since we last met you?”
The series is presented by Columbia Gorge Community College and Gorge Literacy.
Admission is free; suggested donation is $5. For more information call 541-506-6047.
The schedule is as follows:
n April 3 — Flor Fernández Barrios (2004 Writers Series), author of “Blessed by Thunder,” “Mask of Oya” and “Candela,” 7-8:30 p.m. at The Dalles Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth St.
n April 10 — Ladan Yalzadeh (2007 Middle East Series), Iranian screenwriter, filmmaker, artist and event designer, 7-8:30 p.m. at Springhouse Cellar Winery, 13 Railroad Ave., Hood River
n April 17 — American Sign Language Poets (2012 Voices Less Heard Series), Oregon School for the Deaf poetry Out Loud champion and finalist, 7-8:30 p.m. at Columbia Center for the Arts, 215 Cascade Ave., Hood River
n April 24 — Steven T. Wax (2008 Social Justice Series), Federal public defender, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit “Kafka Comes to America: Fighting for Justice in the War on Terror,” 7-8:30 p.m. at The Dalles Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth St., The Dalles.
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge