Friday, March 22, 2013
The Spring Humanities Series 10th Anniversary Retrospective will begin April 3 with a presentation by Flor Fernandez Barrios. The event will take place from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth St. in The Dalles.
Celebrating its 10th anniversary, the series is taking a look back, inviting some of its and its audiences’ favorite speakers over the past decade to return and update us on their lives, work and perspectives. To ask, “What change or progress related to your series topic has occurred since we last met you?”
The series is presented by Columbia Gorge Community College and Gorge Literacy.
Admission is free; suggested donation is $5. For more information call 541-506-6047.
The schedule is as follows:
n April 3 — Flor Fernández Barrios (2004 Writers Series), author of “Blessed by Thunder,” “Mask of Oya” and “Candela,” 7-8:30 p.m. at The Dalles Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth St.
n April 10 — Ladan Yalzadeh (2007 Middle East Series), Iranian screenwriter, filmmaker, artist and event designer, 7-8:30 p.m. at Springhouse Cellar Winery, 13 Railroad Ave., Hood River
n April 17 — American Sign Language Poets (2012 Voices Less Heard Series), Oregon School for the Deaf poetry Out Loud champion and finalist, 7-8:30 p.m. at Columbia Center for the Arts, 215 Cascade Ave., Hood River
n April 24 — Steven T. Wax (2008 Social Justice Series), Federal public defender, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit “Kafka Comes to America: Fighting for Justice in the War on Terror,” 7-8:30 p.m. at The Dalles Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth St., The Dalles.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: ‘Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead’ at CCA
- HR County Library District holds annual Unity Picnic to celebrate diversity, reading
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River pool facing possible closure in 1987
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 23
- ANOTHER VOICE: Call on Gorge Commission to take a stand on coal transport pollution
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 23 edition
- Lions Fundraiser ‘Applerama’ in danger of cancellation
- The Ale List: Full Sail and Harrington team up with Red Ale
- ‘Sketchbook Project’ invites conversation
- poTENtial series continues at Center for Arts
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge