Friday, March 29, 2013
On March 19-22, Hood River skiers Austin Keillor, Montana Kurahara, Zack Millelson, Beth Mixon and Hannah West competed in the U16 Western Regional Championships in Alyeska, Alaska.
The elite Western Region event brings together top skiers from seven divisions of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association program, with approximately 80 girls and 90 boys qualifying from the Pacific Northwest, California to Utah, Montana and Alaska.
West, skiing under the Rowmark Academy in the Intermountain Division, placed highest in the group at fourth overall, which was good enough to get her an invite to the U16 nationals in Park City April 1-4.
The other four skied for the Pacific Northwest Ski Association. Kurahara, of the Mt. Hood Academy, placed ninth overall after finishing 22nd in slalom, 13th in GS and 24th in Super G; Keillor placed 21st in slalom; Mixon, representing Cooper Spur Race Team, finished 24th in slalom and 34th in GS and Mikkelson, also racing for CSRT, placed 33rd in GS and 56th in Super G.
More like this story
- HRMS teacher studies in Germany
- Police Log, Aug. 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, Aug. 14 to 24
- Soccer Assist: Kudos for thoughtful behind-scenes work
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 29
- Editor's Notebook: Roanoke tragedy asks, ‘are we slaves to our technology?’
- Gorge Kids Tri adds music fest to lineup
- The Porch for Aug. 29
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 29
- Walmart sells 16.3 acres to Ryan’s Juice
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge