Friday, March 29, 2013
On March 19-22, Hood River skiers Austin Keillor, Montana Kurahara, Zack Millelson, Beth Mixon and Hannah West competed in the U16 Western Regional Championships in Alyeska, Alaska.
The elite Western Region event brings together top skiers from seven divisions of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association program, with approximately 80 girls and 90 boys qualifying from the Pacific Northwest, California to Utah, Montana and Alaska.
West, skiing under the Rowmark Academy in the Intermountain Division, placed highest in the group at fourth overall, which was good enough to get her an invite to the U16 nationals in Park City April 1-4.
The other four skied for the Pacific Northwest Ski Association. Kurahara, of the Mt. Hood Academy, placed ninth overall after finishing 22nd in slalom, 13th in GS and 24th in Super G; Keillor placed 21st in slalom; Mixon, representing Cooper Spur Race Team, finished 24th in slalom and 34th in GS and Mikkelson, also racing for CSRT, placed 33rd in GS and 56th in Super G.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge