Friday, March 29, 2013
On March 19-22, Hood River skiers Austin Keillor, Montana Kurahara, Zack Millelson, Beth Mixon and Hannah West competed in the U16 Western Regional Championships in Alyeska, Alaska.
The elite Western Region event brings together top skiers from seven divisions of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association program, with approximately 80 girls and 90 boys qualifying from the Pacific Northwest, California to Utah, Montana and Alaska.
West, skiing under the Rowmark Academy in the Intermountain Division, placed highest in the group at fourth overall, which was good enough to get her an invite to the U16 nationals in Park City April 1-4.
The other four skied for the Pacific Northwest Ski Association. Kurahara, of the Mt. Hood Academy, placed ninth overall after finishing 22nd in slalom, 13th in GS and 24th in Super G; Keillor placed 21st in slalom; Mixon, representing Cooper Spur Race Team, finished 24th in slalom and 34th in GS and Mikkelson, also racing for CSRT, placed 33rd in GS and 56th in Super G.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge