Friday, March 29, 2013
On March 19-22, Hood River skiers Austin Keillor, Montana Kurahara, Zack Millelson, Beth Mixon and Hannah West competed in the U16 Western Regional Championships in Alyeska, Alaska.
The elite Western Region event brings together top skiers from seven divisions of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association program, with approximately 80 girls and 90 boys qualifying from the Pacific Northwest, California to Utah, Montana and Alaska.
West, skiing under the Rowmark Academy in the Intermountain Division, placed highest in the group at fourth overall, which was good enough to get her an invite to the U16 nationals in Park City April 1-4.
The other four skied for the Pacific Northwest Ski Association. Kurahara, of the Mt. Hood Academy, placed ninth overall after finishing 22nd in slalom, 13th in GS and 24th in Super G; Keillor placed 21st in slalom; Mixon, representing Cooper Spur Race Team, finished 24th in slalom and 34th in GS and Mikkelson, also racing for CSRT, placed 33rd in GS and 56th in Super G.
More like this story
- Boys soccer goes on the road and ties Hermiston
- Sports briefs for Oct. 21
- Kegler's Corner: Buck and Miller Shine
- Taste of Tsuruta benefit dinner Nov. 4 at Mt. Hood Winery
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner Oct. 21
- Mosier Senior Center hosts Harvest Fair
- Blacksmith Bob Denman at District Garden Club meeting Oct. 28
- ‘Gen Silent’ film, workshop on Oct. 25
- ‘Gender, Dignity and Freedom’ Oct. 24: Gender identity panel
- Sheriff Log, Oct. 8 to 14
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge