Friday, March 29, 2013
Marchesi Vineyards of Hood River received Best of Class award for its 2010 Nebbiolo, Bujanen, Columbia Valley, at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition.
Vintner Franco Marchesi submitted three wines to the competition, at America’s largest wine judging event.
The San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition received more than 5,400 wine submissions and is considered to be the premier competition in the United States, according to Marchesi.
The winery received Bronze medals for its 2011 Barbera Achille, Columbia Valley and 2009 Pinot Noir Reserve, Columbia Gorge.
This is the second Best of Class award Marchesi Vineyards has received from this competition. The first was its Primitivo Valentino 2009, Columbia Valley.
“The 2013 Best of Class medal for our Nebbiolo 2010 and the Bronze for our Barbera 2010 are the results of the passion we put into our Italian Varietal wines here at Marchesi Vineyards and the awards are the testimony year after year,” Marchesi said.
The Bronze Medal awarded to the 2009 Pinot Noir Reserve, Columbia Gorge is of particular importance, because it is the first major winning by a premium Pinot Noir from the Columbia Gorge, a fairly new AVA, that embraces both the Oregon and Washington sides of the Columbia River where the grapes were grown.
The Gorge Guide Magazine has released the 2012 results of its online voting from both residents and visitors to their website. For the third year in a row Marchesi Vineyards was voted Best of the Gorge.
“We are elated,” Marchesi said.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 30
- Vital Content: The Web would be sparse landscape without newspapers
- Love Your Columbia In CL, tribal leaders lead salmon viewing Oct. 8
- Warm Springs tribe member describes Dakota pipeline experiences Oct. 4 at RCC
- Church Notes: ‘Die Wise’ book program starts Sunday at Riverside
- Ribbon cutting at Museum
- Mediation training at Six Rivers starts Oct. 6
- May Street celebrates Walk/Bike to School Day
- Food insecurity: 'Harvesting’ art exhibit, meal and public conversation in downtown HR Oct. 7
- 12th Street opens
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge