Friday, March 29, 2013
Marchesi Vineyards of Hood River received Best of Class award for its 2010 Nebbiolo, Bujanen, Columbia Valley, at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition.
Vintner Franco Marchesi submitted three wines to the competition, at America’s largest wine judging event.
The San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition received more than 5,400 wine submissions and is considered to be the premier competition in the United States, according to Marchesi.
The winery received Bronze medals for its 2011 Barbera Achille, Columbia Valley and 2009 Pinot Noir Reserve, Columbia Gorge.
This is the second Best of Class award Marchesi Vineyards has received from this competition. The first was its Primitivo Valentino 2009, Columbia Valley.
“The 2013 Best of Class medal for our Nebbiolo 2010 and the Bronze for our Barbera 2010 are the results of the passion we put into our Italian Varietal wines here at Marchesi Vineyards and the awards are the testimony year after year,” Marchesi said.
The Bronze Medal awarded to the 2009 Pinot Noir Reserve, Columbia Gorge is of particular importance, because it is the first major winning by a premium Pinot Noir from the Columbia Gorge, a fairly new AVA, that embraces both the Oregon and Washington sides of the Columbia River where the grapes were grown.
The Gorge Guide Magazine has released the 2012 results of its online voting from both residents and visitors to their website. For the third year in a row Marchesi Vineyards was voted Best of the Gorge.
“We are elated,” Marchesi said.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge