Friday, March 29, 2013
There is a new ladies chorus in the Gorge, under the umbrella of the Mid-Columbia Community Choir. This group, for now, will be known as the Mid-Columbia Community Choir Ladies Chorus.
“Presently we have 15 ladies who have stepped forward and there is room for other ladies who would like to sing with us to join,” said Perry Cole, who will direct the group. “We are hoping that the group will become 20 to 25, making a very nice small chorus.”
The group plans to be a music ministry, giving concerts in special venues such as assisted living, civic groups and at MCCC scheduled concerts. It will sing arrangements for three-part ensembles with several pieces having optional fourth parts.
The genre will include a variety of religious styles from classical to contemporary, including some greatly loved hymns.
The first rehearsal will be held April 4 at 7 p.m. at the Tucker Road Baptist Church, 1455 Tucker Road, Hood River.
Plans are to continue rehearsals on Thursday evenings until school is out in June. Prior to June the group will discuss future rehearsal and concert commitments as Mid-Columbia Community Choir begins the fall rehearsal schedule.
Cole plans to have this special group sing for the Thanksgiving and Christmas programs this year. A short recital is planned prior to summer, so it will require strict attendance and home work from the group.
An initial membership fee of $25 is required, payable to Mid-Columbia Community Choir by the April 11 rehearsal. This is a volunteer group; no one will receive compensation.
More like this story
- Service Announcement for Oct. 26: Vernon Picking
- Death Notices for Oct. 26: Mary Stinson, Wilma Bolton, Kathleen Coffey, Thomas Pierce and Evelyn Helseth
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge