Friday, March 29, 2013
Donna Reuter heads to her hometown of Spokane for the Northwest Old Time Fiddlers Regionals April 13 after winning first place in state last weekend.
Reuter, of Hood River, won the adult division (ages 37-59) at the Oregon Old-Time Fiddlers Competition in Salem.
Reuter (pronounced “roy-ter”) also took third in duets. She was joined by Pam McNamara on bass.
The state win earns Reuter a trip to the Nationals in Weiser, Idaho, July 17-23. The state organization will pay her entry fee.
Reuter will get to play in the special “Certified” Division for the state and regional champions and compete for titles including the “fanciest fiddler,” “best-dressed,” “most entertaining.”
Reuter has placed in the top four at Weiser four times, and while this was her first win in Oregon, she was 1976 Washington State Junior Champion. Her father, Bud Johnson, and grandfather also played fiddle.
“I didn’t imagine I would win when I’m at this age,” joked Reuter. “I thought I was over-the-hill.” Reuter works as bookkeeper for her husband’s company, Fritz Reuter Construction, but she’ll be playing a lot more fiddle in the coming weeks.
“I make an effort before competition to practice every day. I normally practice only once a week,” she said Thursday at Hood River Valley Adult Center, where she and pianist Diane Allen played a mix of folk and classical tunes during lunch.
Asked what making music means to her, Reuter said, “It’s like a different language that I use to communicate with people.
More like this story
- Vandalized sign prompts security precautions at CL School Friday
- Death Notices for Oct. 1: Jack Stone, Jack Stone, Viola Wells, and Gerald Culp
- Service Announcement for Oct. 1: Calvin Peck
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge