Friday, March 29, 2013
Donna Reuter heads to her hometown of Spokane for the Northwest Old Time Fiddlers Regionals April 13 after winning first place in state last weekend.
Reuter, of Hood River, won the adult division (ages 37-59) at the Oregon Old-Time Fiddlers Competition in Salem.
Reuter (pronounced “roy-ter”) also took third in duets. She was joined by Pam McNamara on bass.
The state win earns Reuter a trip to the Nationals in Weiser, Idaho, July 17-23. The state organization will pay her entry fee.
Reuter will get to play in the special “Certified” Division for the state and regional champions and compete for titles including the “fanciest fiddler,” “best-dressed,” “most entertaining.”
Reuter has placed in the top four at Weiser four times, and while this was her first win in Oregon, she was 1976 Washington State Junior Champion. Her father, Bud Johnson, and grandfather also played fiddle.
“I didn’t imagine I would win when I’m at this age,” joked Reuter. “I thought I was over-the-hill.” Reuter works as bookkeeper for her husband’s company, Fritz Reuter Construction, but she’ll be playing a lot more fiddle in the coming weeks.
“I make an effort before competition to practice every day. I normally practice only once a week,” she said Thursday at Hood River Valley Adult Center, where she and pianist Diane Allen played a mix of folk and classical tunes during lunch.
Asked what making music means to her, Reuter said, “It’s like a different language that I use to communicate with people.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
- Oregon Parks takes input on adding tribal governments to veterans grant programs
- Sheriff Log, Nov. 5 to 18
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge