Friday, May 3, 2013
The colorful string of handcrafted flags lifted into the air, fluttering peacefully in the Hood River winds. Teens and teachers raised their hands in benediction, sending their wishes for peace, prosperity, kindness and community out toward the towns they call home.
Those good wishes, strung up in the form of a Tibetan peace banner, continue to wave from their perch atop Hood River’s Panorama Point off of Eastside Road. They are worth a visit while on display through May 31.
Made by students in the Klahre House program, an alternative school for teens, the flags were constructed as part of a Columbia Gorge Arts in Education grant with visiting artist, Kelsey Mosely.
Learning about personal expression, artistic creation and the power art has in building community, students designed their own flags, silk-screened the artwork and wrote accompanying poetry for the project. The wishes go out to all communities touched by the wind that blows through the banner.
“I chose an ocean symbol,” said G., a 15-year-old. “The ocean is a huge mystery and very peaceful.” Students’ identities are confidential at Klahre House request, but their good will is easily shared.
“I chose a hand with a heart inside,” said E., a 16-year-old. “Hands can be used for the best or worst things – but, hopefully for the community around you.”
The teens worked on the project over the course of a month, exploring the nature of symbols, the power of words and their own hopes for the future.
Seventeen-year-old N., said, “I will hopefully succeed in my program, my life, and with my daughter.”
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge