Friday, May 3, 2013
Scottie Ziegner battled through a match that lasted more than two hours Wednesday afternoon against Hermiston’s No. 1 singles, Lucas Wyant. Ziegner’s 7-5, 3-6, 6-0 win was the only one of the day for the Hood River Valley High School varsity boys tennis team in the away meet against the Bulldogs.
Last weekend the team traveled to Sandy for tournament play and finished third overall. Doubles teams of Victor Garibo/Patrick Humann and Billy Edwards/Will Ferrick lost tough first-round matches but battled back to the consolation finals, where they faced one another. Garibo and Humann came out on top in a tiebreak for the win. Miguel De La Rosa and Jorge Calderon won their first match in a 3rd set match-breaker, then lost the next two matches.
The team has a break for the next couple of weeks leading up to the district tournament May 10-11 in Sunriver. HRV tennis is in the 5A Special District 1 with Bend, Hermiston, Mountain View, Pendleton, Redmond, Summit and The Dalles-Wahtonka.
More like this story
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
- Shoreline trail widened under HR Bridge
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge