Friday, May 3, 2013
Scottie Ziegner battled through a match that lasted more than two hours Wednesday afternoon against Hermiston’s No. 1 singles, Lucas Wyant. Ziegner’s 7-5, 3-6, 6-0 win was the only one of the day for the Hood River Valley High School varsity boys tennis team in the away meet against the Bulldogs.
Last weekend the team traveled to Sandy for tournament play and finished third overall. Doubles teams of Victor Garibo/Patrick Humann and Billy Edwards/Will Ferrick lost tough first-round matches but battled back to the consolation finals, where they faced one another. Garibo and Humann came out on top in a tiebreak for the win. Miguel De La Rosa and Jorge Calderon won their first match in a 3rd set match-breaker, then lost the next two matches.
The team has a break for the next couple of weeks leading up to the district tournament May 10-11 in Sunriver. HRV tennis is in the 5A Special District 1 with Bend, Hermiston, Mountain View, Pendleton, Redmond, Summit and The Dalles-Wahtonka.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge