Friday, May 3, 2013
Scottie Ziegner battled through a match that lasted more than two hours Wednesday afternoon against Hermiston’s No. 1 singles, Lucas Wyant. Ziegner’s 7-5, 3-6, 6-0 win was the only one of the day for the Hood River Valley High School varsity boys tennis team in the away meet against the Bulldogs.
Last weekend the team traveled to Sandy for tournament play and finished third overall. Doubles teams of Victor Garibo/Patrick Humann and Billy Edwards/Will Ferrick lost tough first-round matches but battled back to the consolation finals, where they faced one another. Garibo and Humann came out on top in a tiebreak for the win. Miguel De La Rosa and Jorge Calderon won their first match in a 3rd set match-breaker, then lost the next two matches.
The team has a break for the next couple of weeks leading up to the district tournament May 10-11 in Sunriver. HRV tennis is in the 5A Special District 1 with Bend, Hermiston, Mountain View, Pendleton, Redmond, Summit and The Dalles-Wahtonka.
More like this story
- Library announces Odell bus service
- Learn the art of personal storytelling
- Steelhead, Chinook fishing clinic Feb. 27
- Help library win ‘Million Page Challenge’
- Church News: Nazarene’s install new pastor
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 6
- MAILS and Marijuana: Legislators right to work to stamp out a bad, old regulation
- Entertainment Update for Feb. 6
- The Porch: Feb. 6
- ‘Pass The Pig’: HRVHS plans FFA Week events