Friday, May 3, 2013
Scottie Ziegner battled through a match that lasted more than two hours Wednesday afternoon against Hermiston’s No. 1 singles, Lucas Wyant. Ziegner’s 7-5, 3-6, 6-0 win was the only one of the day for the Hood River Valley High School varsity boys tennis team in the away meet against the Bulldogs.
Last weekend the team traveled to Sandy for tournament play and finished third overall. Doubles teams of Victor Garibo/Patrick Humann and Billy Edwards/Will Ferrick lost tough first-round matches but battled back to the consolation finals, where they faced one another. Garibo and Humann came out on top in a tiebreak for the win. Miguel De La Rosa and Jorge Calderon won their first match in a 3rd set match-breaker, then lost the next two matches.
The team has a break for the next couple of weeks leading up to the district tournament May 10-11 in Sunriver. HRV tennis is in the 5A Special District 1 with Bend, Hermiston, Mountain View, Pendleton, Redmond, Summit and The Dalles-Wahtonka.
More like this story
- Reader Photos: Enjoying the Eclipse
- Eclipse Scenes
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge