Friday, May 3, 2013
Scottie Ziegner battled through a match that lasted more than two hours Wednesday afternoon against Hermiston’s No. 1 singles, Lucas Wyant. Ziegner’s 7-5, 3-6, 6-0 win was the only one of the day for the Hood River Valley High School varsity boys tennis team in the away meet against the Bulldogs.
Last weekend the team traveled to Sandy for tournament play and finished third overall. Doubles teams of Victor Garibo/Patrick Humann and Billy Edwards/Will Ferrick lost tough first-round matches but battled back to the consolation finals, where they faced one another. Garibo and Humann came out on top in a tiebreak for the win. Miguel De La Rosa and Jorge Calderon won their first match in a 3rd set match-breaker, then lost the next two matches.
The team has a break for the next couple of weeks leading up to the district tournament May 10-11 in Sunriver. HRV tennis is in the 5A Special District 1 with Bend, Hermiston, Mountain View, Pendleton, Redmond, Summit and The Dalles-Wahtonka.
More like this story
- Parkdale Pumpkin parade, fun run Oct. 29
- HR artist crafts White Salmon sign
- Three appeals filed on UP’s Mosier track project
- Search suspended for west Gorge hiker
- Yesteryears: Trailer-house colony plan to ease housing shortage abandoned in 1946
- Police Log, Oct. 1 to 8
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 26
- ‘Remember Minoru’: Hood River community honors a civil rights hero
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 26
- The Ale List: pFriem ranks tops in Oregonian brewery list
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge