Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Oregon State University Extension Service is sponsoring a Spring Tour, “Travel Through Time and Territory” on Friday, May 24, 2013. The public is invited to this annual event which is hosted by Wasco and Hood River County Home Extension Council.
Highlights of the trip will be exploring the eastern Columbia River Gorge, including Horsethief Butte and petroglyph “She Who Watches,” Maryhill Museum, Stonehenge, St. John the Forerunner Greek Orthodox Abbey, Goldendale Observatory and Schreiner Farm. A delicious Greek lunch will be served at the Abbey.
There is about a 1/4 mile guided tour to see “She Who Watches.” If you prefer, attendees can stay at the park and hear a park ranger presentation.
Please note there is a specific dress code to enter and tour the Abbey, including long skirt or pants, long sleeves and a head covering or scarf.
Half of the tour group will go on a tour of the Abbey while the other half eats lunch, then the groups will switch.
The cost of $50 includes all transportation, entry fees, lunch and gratuity.
There are three pick up locations at Hood River Best Western Inn, at 8 a.m., Mosier (at the former gas station) at 8:30 a.m. and K-Mart Parking Lot in The Dalles at 9 a.m.
Return trip drop off times are 4 p.m. in The Dalles, 4:50 p.m. in Mosier and 5 p.m. in Hood River.
Pre-paid registration is required and must be received by May 17. Please make checks to County Council and mail to FCE, 2990 Experiment Station Drive, Hood River, OR 97031.
For more information and to register, contact the Hood River County Extension Office at 541-386-3343.
More like this story
- ‘Weather Spotters’ training comes to CL
- Service announcement for Nov. 22 edition: Ned Marshall
- Death notices for Nov. 22 edition: Gerald Hopsicker, Nobi Akiyama and Westlake Cannon
- Columbia Gorge Hotel turns on its lights Nov. 25
- Betty and Kenny Short celebrate 65 years
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
Bagpipers perform at Fall Simple Gifts
The Portland Guard pipers prepare and then perform at the Fall Simple Gifts concert at Riverside Church Enlarge