Friday, May 10, 2013
The presenters have been chosen for Tuesday’s Gorge Soup for Kids.
With Gorge Soup, diners enjoy dinner together, hear grant hopefuls describe their project or business and then vote on which request or requests they would like to fund.
The dinner proceeds are then disbursed to the winner or winners.
The community is invited to have soup May 14 at 6 p.m. at Springhouse Cellars to hear these students present.
Tickets are $35 and available at: http:// www.brownpapertickets.com/event/282394
The presenters are:
- Courtney Ghiz-Peters, Horse Stables for 4-H Members
- Fiona Wylde, Standup Paddle Board Events
- Nia Burtchaell-Norman, The Gift of Gardening
- Keeley Brownback, Sand Castles Candles
- Phineas C. Newcomb, Y2Pro (a Scootering Advocacy Group)
- Madison Mooney and Nina Magana, Staying Authentic (Organic Food)
Sponsorships of $100 are also still available; email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
At last year’s Gorge Soup, winner Keenan Collins of New Leaf Gallery accepted half of his grant and asked that the rest be given to the other presenters. New Leaf, on Seventh Street near Oak, holds monthly classes and other events for teens in the community.
Gorge Soup began in 2011 and has thus far produced three events for adult entrepreneurs and one for Gorge area students in grades K-12.
Last year’s season resulted in a total of five new ventures receiving a total of more than $7,100 in support.
Organizers say that at least three new Soup events have begun in Portland and Seattle, inspired by Gorge Soup.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge