Tuesday, May 14, 2013
We are not quite at “last chance” for getting ballots in on time, but close to it.
Consider Thursday, May 16 as your deadline for mailing in your vote for the May 21 Special Districts election. After that date, a mailed ballot runs the risk of not getting to the county on time.
Ballots must be in the hands of County Elections by 8 p.m. on May 21. Drop boxes are located at the county building, Sixth and State streets and at Cascade Locks City Hall.
At stake are numerous positions on local government boards in the community: the Hood River and Cascade Locks ports, Hood River County School District Board, fire, water and sanitation districts and more.
The ballot includes two contested posts on the county Parks and Recreation Board — See page A9 for details on the four candidates.
While there is only one contested School Board race on the ballot — incumbent Jan Veldhuisen Virk and challenger Timothy Counihan — an organized write-in campaign is being staged by Mary Reynolds of Odell, against eight-year incumbent Mark Johnson.
Another important note on the ballot process: registered voters who have had a change of address or other ballot status should inform the elections office prior to May 21.
So far, turnout is light: 1,213 ballots, or just over 10 percent, have been turned in as of Tuesday morning, according to county clerk Brian Beebe.
If you have not yet taken some time to examine your ballot and consider how to mark it, remember that you still have six days to do so.
The positions on these boards, though most are uncontested, are nonetheless important to getting done the work of local governments, which touch all our daily lives.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge