Friday, May 17, 2013
The community is invited to bring their car seats — preferably with kids in them — to a clinic Saturday from 1-3 p.m., at the Hood River Fire Department’s Ty Taylor Station.
The fire hall is located next to Hood River Aquatic Center, on 18th near May Street.
Turn to page A9 for related story on a traffic safety “blitz” to start May 20. Officers will focus, in part, on compliance with child car safety seat laws.
Safe Kids Columbia Gorge held a technicians’ clinic this week, and on Saturday 13 newly-trained car seat technicians will check for proper installation. They can also answer questions and advise parents or guardians on recall orders and other concerns about specific models. The clinic will also provide guidance on replacing seats.
Last week, 13 residents of Hood River and Wasco counties underwent training at the fire hall to become car seat technicians, meaning they can now teach clinics on car seat safety.
Many of the technicians are bilingual, thanks to the involvement of the Oregon Child Development Coalition. This will enable the expansion of the service to the Hispanic population, according to Joella Dethman, director of Hood River Commission on Children and Families.
“This is the first technicians’ clinic Hood River has had for a long time. This training will enable us to reach so many more people,” Dethman said.
The commission has for years organized car seat safety programs in the Gorge, and is a partner in Safe Kids Coalition with OCDC, and area law enforcement and public safety agencies.
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge