Friday, May 17, 2013
The Hood River Boys 5-6 Select lacrosse team, the Fire Hawks, won its division of the Sisters Annual Lacrosse Invitational Tournament last weekend. The Hood River boys went undefeated in the tournament, winning three games to qualify for the championship match later that evening against an experienced Lincoln squad.
Lincoln scored early and quickly in the championship game, including the first goal in less than half a minute. As they had all tournament, the Hood River boys did not let Lincoln’s quick strike get them down. Instead, the boys struck back with four goals in the first half and another in the fourth to take the 5-2 win.
Along with a strong offense, the team’s defense — led by goalie Jackson West and anchored by Hunter Tsai, Andrew Gjino, Ezra Johnson, Vetea Boersma, Jack Gutherie and Maverick Geller — played an outstanding game to secure the tournament win.
The boys qualified for the finals with wins over teams from King’s Way, Canby and Oregon City.
In the semifinals against Oregon City, the Hood River boys fell behind by three goals at halftime before figuring out the other team’s offense and shutting them down. A solid second half secured the 6-5 win and a trip to the finals.
On the offensive end tournament goal counts are as follows: Sean FitzSimons, 7; Alex McAlpine, 5; Talon Henderson, 5; Chad Claas, 4; Jhett Chrisman, 2; Matthew Tichnor, 1.
In addition to goal scoring, strong performances were credited to Shane Sorensen, Josh Nardone, Caleb Trumbull, Wyatt Foley, Sam Einhorn and Cole Talamage.
More like this story
- Service announcement for Nov. 22 edition: Ned Marshall
- Death notices for Nov. 22 edition: Gerald Hopsicker, Nobi Akiyama and Westlake Cannon
- Columbia Gorge Hotel turns on its lights Nov. 25
- Betty and Kenny Short celebrate 65 years
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge