Friday, May 17, 2013
The Hood River Boys 5-6 Select lacrosse team, the Fire Hawks, won its division of the Sisters Annual Lacrosse Invitational Tournament last weekend. The Hood River boys went undefeated in the tournament, winning three games to qualify for the championship match later that evening against an experienced Lincoln squad.
Lincoln scored early and quickly in the championship game, including the first goal in less than half a minute. As they had all tournament, the Hood River boys did not let Lincoln’s quick strike get them down. Instead, the boys struck back with four goals in the first half and another in the fourth to take the 5-2 win.
Along with a strong offense, the team’s defense — led by goalie Jackson West and anchored by Hunter Tsai, Andrew Gjino, Ezra Johnson, Vetea Boersma, Jack Gutherie and Maverick Geller — played an outstanding game to secure the tournament win.
The boys qualified for the finals with wins over teams from King’s Way, Canby and Oregon City.
In the semifinals against Oregon City, the Hood River boys fell behind by three goals at halftime before figuring out the other team’s offense and shutting them down. A solid second half secured the 6-5 win and a trip to the finals.
On the offensive end tournament goal counts are as follows: Sean FitzSimons, 7; Alex McAlpine, 5; Talon Henderson, 5; Chad Claas, 4; Jhett Chrisman, 2; Matthew Tichnor, 1.
In addition to goal scoring, strong performances were credited to Shane Sorensen, Josh Nardone, Caleb Trumbull, Wyatt Foley, Sam Einhorn and Cole Talamage.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Elks’ Oktoberfest returns Sept. 23
- Roots and Branches: There is no masking care
- YESTERYEARS: Odell Sanitation District opens bids for new plant in 1967
- Wy’east class of ’67 celebrates 50-year reunion
- Foster Parenting: Simple answers to a challenging task
- Success is one caring adult away
- Pet of the Week: Bojangles looking for an active family
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 20 edition
- ‘Overwhelming enthusiasm’: Community comes together for firefighters
- Parkhurst Place plans ‘thank you’ this week for fire first responders
Governor visits Hood River during fire
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown visited Hood River Hotel Thursday morning, Sept. 14, discussing economic impacts of the Eagle Creek fire with local business leaders. Attendees included Sen. Chuck Thomsen, Mayor Paul Blackburn, and business representatives from Celilo Restaurant, Double Mountain Brewery and Cascade Locks' The Renewal Workshop. For updates on the fire, stay tuned at www.hoodrivernews.com. Enlarge