Friday, May 17, 2013
Hood River Dynamos U-10 boys team recently completed FC Portland’s Spring Development League undefeated, with a record of 6-0-1. For most of the players, the season was their first experience playing competitive club soccer against larger club organizations, such as Westside Timbers, Lake Oswego Soccer Club, Willamette United and FC Portland.
“They improved individual skills and team play and a developed a bond that couldn’t be beat,” coach Danny Nelson commented. “One of the most impressive attributes of this young team was their ability to come from behind and not be rattled by the score.”
The team fell behind by a goal or more in three of the seven games but was able to make comebacks and pull off an undefeated season.
“I have never coached a team of players this young that play this cool under pressure,” Nelson said.
The group plans on staying together to play in the competitive OPL league this fall as a U-11, with games played in Hood River and Portland.
The team is sponsored by local author and business owner, Joe O’Neill of Red Hand Adventures and Waquis Global.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
- Oregon Parks takes input on adding tribal governments to veterans grant programs
- Sheriff Log, Nov. 5 to 18