Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Incumbant school board candidates Mark Johnson and Jan Veldhuisen-Virk easily won re-election in the two most high profile contested races in the May 21 special election.
FIn the member at large race, Veldhuisen-Virk received 1,683 votes (66.34 percent) while challenger Tim Counihan received 792 votes (31.22 percent).
In the race for position 6, Mark Johnson kept his seat with 314 votes (60.27 percent). Educator Mary Reynolds mounted a write-in campaign to challenge Johnson. There were 207 write-in ballots cast in the race.
David Russo and Julia Ramirez won unopposed election to positions two and four, respectively.
In other local contested races, Renee Van de Griend and Greg Davis were the top two finishers in a field of four to win election to the Hood River Valley Parks and Recreation District board; Chuck Weseman, Eric Cederstam and Rob Graves won election to the Wy'east Rural Fire District Board and Butch Gehrig and Rob Duddles won election to the Odell Sanitary District board.
In port comission races, Jon Davies, Fred Duckwall and Rich McBride all won unopposed re-election to the Port of Hood River Commission and Scot Sullenger, Joeinne Campbell and Jess Groves all won in in unapposed races for the Port of Cascade Locks Commission.
The special election saw 3,007 registered voters cast their ballots for a turnout rate of 26.19 percent.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge