Friday, May 24, 2013
The Hood River Lions Club has chosen Don Benton as grand marshal for the July 4 Independence Day Parade. Organizations and commercial entries are encouraged to register for the parade, which begins at 10 a.m. Line-up starts at 8:30 a.m.
The parade theme is “Go the Extra Mile,” in honor of Benton, a Hood River resident and retired Navy veteran who brought home three Purple Heart medals and two Navy and Marine Corps Commendation medals for valor during his service in Vietnam.
Parade entries are available at the Hood River Chamber of Commerce. Completed and signed registration forms should be turned in between 8:30 a.m. and the start of the parade on Eighth and Sieverkropp streets on the Hood River Heights.
- Concessionaires who wish to sell goods in the post-parade event in Jackson Park should contact Colleen Fogarty at 541-490-9982 or email@example.com.
- Individuals and businesses wishing to provide funds for the fireworks display should send their tax-deductible donations to Lions Fireworks, 1761 12th St., #136, Hood River, OR 97031.
- Like the last three years, a “No Candy” policy will be enforced during the parade.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge