Tuesday, May 28, 2013
The second race of the Gorge Mountain Bike Short Track Series, presented by Breakaway Promotion, was held last Thursday evening in Cascade Locks. Despite rain most of the week, conditions were cool and calm, providing a challenging but fun mix of course conditions for the second of five races in the series.
As was the case with the first race, Gorge-area riders placed well among the pack of riders. Top local placers are as follows:
Mark DeResta, 1st, Cat-2 Men 35-44; Thomas Morgan, 1st, Cat-2 Men 45+; Laura Melkonian, 1st, Cat-2 Women 35+; Temira Wagonfeld, 2nd, Cat-2 Women 35+; Zack Mikkelson, 1st, Junior Men.
The series continues May 30, June 6 and June 13 and is open to new riders for any or all of the remaining three. Races vary in duration from 30 to 45 minutes based upon category and are run on a mix of single track, double track, banked turns and rollers at the Port of Cascade Locks’ scenic EasyCLIMB trail system.
Registration opens at 4 p.m., with the first race at 5:30 p.m. and pros at 7:40 p.m. For event information and registration see www.gorgeshorttrack.com.
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
- Letters to the Editor for July 23
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge