Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Gary Casady of The Dalles was awarded the Shannon Stewart Award of Excellence by the Oregon Mediation Association on Nov. 1 in Portland.
In attendance for the event were his wife, Linda, and five of his fellow volunteers with Six Rivers. Casady has been an inspiring and devoted volunteer with Six Rivers Dispute Resolution Center since 2008, said Six Rivers Director Marti Kantola.
He provides guidance, counsel and mentoring for clients, staff and fellow volunteers.
“Gary is a humble man living a mediator’s life,” Dane said.
“He devotes so much of his time to listening, recognizing needs and uncovering resources to meet those needs, for children and families throughout our region, he is an inspiration to us all,” Dane said.
In addition, he leads the Peacemaking Team at Gateway Presbyterian of The Dalles, in which he not only trains the team but coaches estranged couples back into meaningful relationship.
“In a very real sense this award is for all of us,” Casady said. “In the West we are under the illusion of independence. In reality none of us make it anywhere on our own.”
Prior to his work in the Gorge, Gary and Linda worked in eastern and southern Africa for 18 years, negotiating with and mediating among tribal leaders as he and his multi-ethnic team provided spiritual, physical, educational, agricultural, and medical assistance. The Casadys have three adult sons and “six-plus” grandchildren.
More like this story
- YESTERYEARS: New Safeway store on Second and Cascade expected in 1947
- Pritchett, Haskins to wed
- Roots and Branches: Cherry Harvest
- Pick of the Week: Children’s Park public meeting July 20
- Travelogue: Panama
- Another Voice: Juntos program ‘critical to success of students in their education’
- Editor's Notebook: By George, one’s own name is a basic sweet spot in your sense of identity
- Letters to the Editor for July 19
- Another Voice: Preserve our agricultural heritage by making Tanner Ranch a park
- The comfort of quilts: Comfort Quilt Project underway at Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge