Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Gary Casady of The Dalles was awarded the Shannon Stewart Award of Excellence by the Oregon Mediation Association on Nov. 1 in Portland.
In attendance for the event were his wife, Linda, and five of his fellow volunteers with Six Rivers. Casady has been an inspiring and devoted volunteer with Six Rivers Dispute Resolution Center since 2008, said Six Rivers Director Marti Kantola.
He provides guidance, counsel and mentoring for clients, staff and fellow volunteers.
“Gary is a humble man living a mediator’s life,” Dane said.
“He devotes so much of his time to listening, recognizing needs and uncovering resources to meet those needs, for children and families throughout our region, he is an inspiration to us all,” Dane said.
In addition, he leads the Peacemaking Team at Gateway Presbyterian of The Dalles, in which he not only trains the team but coaches estranged couples back into meaningful relationship.
“In a very real sense this award is for all of us,” Casady said. “In the West we are under the illusion of independence. In reality none of us make it anywhere on our own.”
Prior to his work in the Gorge, Gary and Linda worked in eastern and southern Africa for 18 years, negotiating with and mediating among tribal leaders as he and his multi-ethnic team provided spiritual, physical, educational, agricultural, and medical assistance. The Casadys have three adult sons and “six-plus” grandchildren.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge