Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Gary Casady of The Dalles was awarded the Shannon Stewart Award of Excellence by the Oregon Mediation Association on Nov. 1 in Portland.
In attendance for the event were his wife, Linda, and five of his fellow volunteers with Six Rivers. Casady has been an inspiring and devoted volunteer with Six Rivers Dispute Resolution Center since 2008, said Six Rivers Director Marti Kantola.
He provides guidance, counsel and mentoring for clients, staff and fellow volunteers.
“Gary is a humble man living a mediator’s life,” Dane said.
“He devotes so much of his time to listening, recognizing needs and uncovering resources to meet those needs, for children and families throughout our region, he is an inspiration to us all,” Dane said.
In addition, he leads the Peacemaking Team at Gateway Presbyterian of The Dalles, in which he not only trains the team but coaches estranged couples back into meaningful relationship.
“In a very real sense this award is for all of us,” Casady said. “In the West we are under the illusion of independence. In reality none of us make it anywhere on our own.”
Prior to his work in the Gorge, Gary and Linda worked in eastern and southern Africa for 18 years, negotiating with and mediating among tribal leaders as he and his multi-ethnic team provided spiritual, physical, educational, agricultural, and medical assistance. The Casadys have three adult sons and “six-plus” grandchildren.
More like this story
- ‘Weather Spotters’ training comes to CL
- Service announcement for Nov. 22 edition: Ned Marshall
- Death notices for Nov. 22 edition: Gerald Hopsicker, Nobi Akiyama and Westlake Cannon
- Columbia Gorge Hotel turns on its lights Nov. 25
- Betty and Kenny Short celebrate 65 years
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
Bagpipers perform at Fall Simple Gifts
The Portland Guard pipers prepare and then perform at the Fall Simple Gifts concert at Riverside Church Enlarge