Saturday, November 9, 2013
Veterans Day events begin with a 7-10 a.m. veterans breakfast at the Elks Lodge, co-hosted by American Legion and Gorge Heroes Club. (The Nov. 6 edition gave the wrong time for this event.)
The service at Anderson’s will start at 11 a.m. The Tribute Center is located on Belmont Avenue near 12th Street.
Speakers will include Tom Mann, veteran administrator, Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs; Les Logsdon, county veteran service officer; and Gary Steele, commander of the American Legion, Post 22.
National Guard, Boy Scout Troop and Cub Scout Troop will present the colors, and Pastor Carl Casey of Parkdale Nazarene Church will give the prayers.
A reception will follow the service, hosted by Daughters of the American Revolution (Celilo Chapter).
At 2 p.m. at Best Western Hood River Inn, Jeff Sinchak, on behalf of the Wounded Warrior Project, will accept a check from ISR Systems, hosted by Cloud Cap Technology. John Trezza from UTC Aerospace, ISR systems president, will present the $100,000 donation.
The Wounded Warrior Project is a nationwide nonprofit providing support to returning injured soldiers and their families.
Sinchak achieved the rank of senior chief hospital corpsman (diver) during his 24-year career. He served as a member of various explosive ordnance disposal and naval warfare teams.
Drinks and light snacks will be served at this event.
Open and Closed:
Schools, banks and government offices will be closed on Nov. 11.
Hood River Valley Aquatic Center offers an open swim from 1-3:30 p.m. Admission is just $1 for all ages.
The slide and rope swing will be open and the party room is available for rental.
Hood River Garbage Service will operate as normal.
Scheduled food bank services will be available.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge