Tuesday, November 12, 2013
The Hood River Valley Eagles boys soccer team will play for the state title.
For the first time since 2009, Woodburn will not.
The Eagles topped the Bulldogs 3-1 in Woodburn Tuesday night to reach the 5A state finals. The Eagles will play Summit for the state title Saturday at Hillsboro Stadium.
The victory gave the Eagles revenge for a semifinal loss to the Bulldogs last season, denied the Bulldogs a shot a fourth straight 5A title and gives Hood River Valley soccer its biggest win in years.
The Bulldogs entered the game ranked No. 1 in the state at 5A and on a ten match winning streak.
The Eagles trailed 1-0 at halftime but tied the contest early in the second half before scoring a goal in each of the two overtimes to get the win.
Now they will try to come up with an even bigger victory on Saturday as they attempt to bring home the school's first boys soccer state title.
More like this story
- ‘Honoring Those Who Have Served’: May 30, 11 a.m., Memorial Day Service
- Entertainment Update for May 28
- Death Notices for May 28: Carole Coreson, Lawrence Monaghan
- Highway brush fire in Hood River knocked down
- Yesteryears: Horizon Christian ‘changing skyscape’ with new building in 2006
- Teen pleads not guilty to stabbing HR woman
- Hearings begin this week on Longview coal terminal
- White River campground closed
- EnviroGorge announces bird quiz
- Letters to the Editor for May 25
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge