Wednesday, November 13, 2013
Two people received minor injuries Saturday at approximately 12:40 p.m. when their sport utility vehicle and trailer jackknifed in the eastbound lanes of Interstate 84 in Hood River. The crash blocked the eastbound lanes for about 90 minutes while a detour helped route traffic off the freeway and around the crash scene.
A long line of cars and trucks, many of them needing to get back on the freeway, filled State and Oak streets for much of the afternoon.
According to Oregon State Police Sgt. Kaipo Raiser, a 2010 Chevrolet Suburban towing a travel trailer driven by a 68-year-old Washington man was eastbound on I-84 near milepost 63.
As the sport utility vehicle and trailer were traveling downhill, the trailer started fishtailing and the driver lost control. Both vehicles jackknifed and the trailer flipped over crashing into the center guardrail. Approximately 130 feet of guardrail was damaged before the sport utility vehicle and trailer stopped.
The driver and his 63-year-old wife were transported to Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital with minor injury.
OSP troopers were assisted at the scene by Hood River Police Department, Hood River County Sheriff’s Office and Hood River Fire Department.
- Death notices for Aug. 31: Robert Stratton and Dale Glasgow
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge