Wednesday, November 13, 2013
Elks Hoop Shoot Nov. 17
The annual Elks Free Throw Competition will run earlier than normal this year. The event will take place Nov. 17, 2 p.m. at Hood River Middle School. The contest is open to boys ang girls ages 8-13. Trophies are awarded to the top three in each category and the local winner in each group will have an expenses-paid trip to Hermiston next month to compete for a chance at the state contest.
Dallman signs with USL Pro Riverhounds
Hood River Valley High School soccer alum Matt Dallman recently signed a two-year contract to continue his tenure as midfielder with the Pittsburg Riverhounds. Dallman joined the USL Pro Division team last July and went on to set a league record of 12 assists during the regular season. Securing Dallman, and league MVP Jose Angulo, for two more years is being celebrated as an important step in bringing the team closer to its goal of winning a USL Pro championship.
The team finished seventh in the 2013 season with a 10-8-8 record.
Dallman, a 2003 HRVHS graduate, says the commitment is a refreshing change after moving around the world in the last decade to pursue playing professional soccer.
“I’ve bounced around quite a bit between Europe and the U.S., but I feel very much at home here, and it will be nice to settle down for a while,” Dallman said in a team inverview.
After high school Dallman spent his college career at the University of Portland before moving abroad to play with several European clubs, including a four-year stint in Germany.
HRVHS All-Conference update for fall sports
Hood River Valley High School fall sports athletes were honored recently with All-League honors. A few names were left off the list in a recently published story about the awards. Those names and awards are as follows:
HRV soccer: Edgar Villegas, first team All Conference; Jaime Frias, second team All Conference.
HRV Football: Patrick Crompton, first team All Conference; John Gray, first team All Conference; Jonnie Knickerbocker, honorable mention.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge