Saturday, November 16, 2013
A petition drive to place a Marriage Equality amendment to the Oregon constitution on the November 2014 ballot recently took it first steps to organize in Hood River.
Members of the local committee of Oregon United for Marriage presented a resolution to Gorge Ecumenical Ministries, asking for its support of the campaign.
The proposed constitutional amendment would require the state to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples on the same basis as opposite-sex couples; those marriages would be subject to the same laws that govern marriages. It would also protect the existing right of religious institutions and clergy to refuse to perform a marriage.
The local committee has scheduled two training events for those who would like to become signature gatherers.
The training events will take place at Riverside Community Church, Fourth and State streets, on Dec. 2 at 1 p.m. and at 7 p.m.
For people who would like to sign the petition, the committee has established the following schedule:
Mondays, Nov. 18 to Dec. 30, noon to 1 p.m. at Boda’s Kitchen, 404 Oak St.; 1-3 p.m. at Pine Street Bakery, 1103 12th St.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge