Saturday, November 16, 2013
A petition drive to place a Marriage Equality amendment to the Oregon constitution on the November 2014 ballot recently took it first steps to organize in Hood River.
Members of the local committee of Oregon United for Marriage presented a resolution to Gorge Ecumenical Ministries, asking for its support of the campaign.
The proposed constitutional amendment would require the state to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples on the same basis as opposite-sex couples; those marriages would be subject to the same laws that govern marriages. It would also protect the existing right of religious institutions and clergy to refuse to perform a marriage.
The local committee has scheduled two training events for those who would like to become signature gatherers.
The training events will take place at Riverside Community Church, Fourth and State streets, on Dec. 2 at 1 p.m. and at 7 p.m.
For people who would like to sign the petition, the committee has established the following schedule:
Mondays, Nov. 18 to Dec. 30, noon to 1 p.m. at Boda’s Kitchen, 404 Oak St.; 1-3 p.m. at Pine Street Bakery, 1103 12th St.
More like this story
- Fun at the CGWA Beach Bash
- Yesteryears: Summer heatwave hits valley in 1936
- Roots and Branches: Grandkids, softball, memories
- ‘Before I Die’ encourages reflection
- Color Run for Haiti
- Keep fireworks legal, and safe
- Letters to the Editor for June 29
- ‘Weed of the Month for June’ is the invasive Scotch broom
- Pet of the Week: Jack is ‘full of energy and fun’
- Fire season is here: enjoy yourself, safely and legally
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge