Saturday, November 16, 2013
A petition drive to place a Marriage Equality amendment to the Oregon constitution on the November 2014 ballot recently took it first steps to organize in Hood River.
Members of the local committee of Oregon United for Marriage presented a resolution to Gorge Ecumenical Ministries, asking for its support of the campaign.
The proposed constitutional amendment would require the state to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples on the same basis as opposite-sex couples; those marriages would be subject to the same laws that govern marriages. It would also protect the existing right of religious institutions and clergy to refuse to perform a marriage.
The local committee has scheduled two training events for those who would like to become signature gatherers.
The training events will take place at Riverside Community Church, Fourth and State streets, on Dec. 2 at 1 p.m. and at 7 p.m.
For people who would like to sign the petition, the committee has established the following schedule:
Mondays, Nov. 18 to Dec. 30, noon to 1 p.m. at Boda’s Kitchen, 404 Oak St.; 1-3 p.m. at Pine Street Bakery, 1103 12th St.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge