Saturday, November 16, 2013
Sara Windsheimer received the Judge Stephen B. Herrel award on Oct. 11 in recognition of her exceptional work to end domestic violence. Windsheimer, who now lives in Portland, graduated from Hood River Valley High School in 1999, and is daughter to Sam and Grace Windsheimer who reside in North Bonneville, Wash.
Windsheimer has worked in the violence prevention field for over 10 years. In that time she has advanced public awareness of victims’ needs by playing a fundamental role in the creation of the Safety First program in august of 2012. Safety First supervises on-site visits at the Gateway Children’s Campus, as well as providing safe exchanges of children for unsupervised parenting time. Safety first has two locations in Washington County Courthouse and the Gateway Children’s Campus, and receives grant funding from the Office on Violence Against Women.
The award is named after 19-year Multnomah County family court judge who passed away in 2006. The award is given annually to a candidate who emphasizes the importance of collaboration.
Windsheimer credits her award and the work her organization has accomplished to others. “Collaborating with other providers, judges, community justice professionals, and advocates is key to being able to offer important programs like these – we couldn’t do this work without others,” said Windsheimer.
Quinn Tyler, a junior at Hood River Valley High School, wrote this article during his time as a job shadow at Hood River News on Nov. 7.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge