Wednesday, November 20, 2013
The active fall chinook run has brought many spawning salmon to the sandy shores of the sandbar and the Hood River, which writhe and die upon the shoals after completing their reproductive duties.
Those dead salmon pose as potential delicacies to many dogs that go out for a romp on the sandbar with their owners, but a bite of fish carcass for Fido could also spell his untimely demise if dog owners are not careful.
Tucker Road Animal Hospital has seen a few cases of salmon poisoning in dogs in as many weeks according to the veterinary clinic’s receptionist, Lindsay Borg. Veterinarian Brian Chambers says the “poisoning” isn’t a toxin in the fish, but is caused by the parasite of a parasite that lives within salmon. Specifically, the bacteria Neorickettsia helminthoeca is the culprit, which resides in another parasite present in salmon: Nanophyetus salmincola, a trematode, or flatworm.
Dogs that ingest the salmon may seem fine at first, but Chambers explained the symptoms take anywhere from two days to a week to manifest, and include diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, and fever. If left unattended, the disease can kill the dog.
Treatment includes de-worming, antibiotics, and/or IV fluids if the case is particularly serious. Chambers indicated that like with many other diseases, early detection and treatment are crucial to ensure a speedy recovery.
“You don’t want to wait, even if they act a little, tiny bit sick,” he said.
More like this story
- ‘Honoring Those Who Have Served’: May 30, 11 a.m., Memorial Day Service
- Entertainment Updtae for May 28
- Death Notices for May 28: Carole Coreson, Lawrence Monaghan
- Highway brush fire in Hood River knocked down
- Yesteryears: Horizon Christian ‘changing skyscape’ with new building in 2006
- Teen pleads not guilty to stabbing HR woman
- Hearings begin this week on Longview coal terminal
- White River campground closed
- EnviroGorge announces bird quiz
- Letters to the Editor for May 25
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge