Saturday, November 23, 2013
Port of Cascade Locks commissioners came to a tentative consensus during their regular meeting Thursday night to double tolls for trucks and other heavier vehicles crossing the Bridge of the Gods, but to not raise tolls on cars.
The proposal would keep the $1 toll for cars the same, but would bump up the truck toll from $1 per axle to $2 per axle. Commissioners also came to a general agreement that tolls should be raised on trucks by 25 cents every other year.
Commissioners also discussed putting more toll revenue into the port’s recently created bridge repair and replacement fund. Commissioners debated about what percentage of revenue should go into the fund but most felt it should be around 50 percent. No formal action on increasing the tolls was made and commissioners agreed to revisit the issue at a later meeting. A public hearing was also planned, but no specific date was set that night.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge