Saturday, November 23, 2013
The annual Elks Hoop Shoot contest was held Sunday afternoon at Hood River Middle School. Although turnout was lower than usual due to being rescheduled on short notice, the event drew a good contingent of young hoopsters compete for a shot at district, state, regional and national contests. Sponsored by Hood River Elks Lodge 1507, winners of each group get an expenses-paid trip to the district competition in Hermiston. The national ftnals will be held at the Basketball Hall of Fame on April 10-13 in Springfield, Mass.
This year’s competitors winners are as follows: Teigan Slatt (girls 8-9), Hunter Hough (boys 10-11), Chloe Kurahara (girls 12-13), Luke Harter (boys 12-13). These winners compete in Hermiston Dec. 15. Winners of that contest will compete in the state event in Salem Feb. 8 and winners of state will move on to nationals.
More like this story
- Library Tree
- Yesteryears: Phase one of new skate park slated to begin in September 1996
- Around the Gorge: Genealogy and more scheduled for Gorge-area venues
- ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Friday
- Archers urged beware of fire dangers, note new regulations
- Idlewilde Cemetery ‘residents’ are not forgotten, thanks to Cemetery Tales
- Roots and Branches: Drums, song carry Minoru Yasui’s message forward
- Washington responders to get notice of oil train shipments
- Oregon Poet Laureate advising Celilo Park project
- Historic Highway trail piece opens Sept. 24
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge