Saturday, November 23, 2013
The annual Elks Hoop Shoot contest was held Sunday afternoon at Hood River Middle School. Although turnout was lower than usual due to being rescheduled on short notice, the event drew a good contingent of young hoopsters compete for a shot at district, state, regional and national contests. Sponsored by Hood River Elks Lodge 1507, winners of each group get an expenses-paid trip to the district competition in Hermiston. The national ftnals will be held at the Basketball Hall of Fame on April 10-13 in Springfield, Mass.
This year’s competitors winners are as follows: Teigan Slatt (girls 8-9), Hunter Hough (boys 10-11), Chloe Kurahara (girls 12-13), Luke Harter (boys 12-13). These winners compete in Hermiston Dec. 15. Winners of that contest will compete in the state event in Salem Feb. 8 and winners of state will move on to nationals.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge