Saturday, November 23, 2013
The annual Elks Hoop Shoot contest was held Sunday afternoon at Hood River Middle School. Although turnout was lower than usual due to being rescheduled on short notice, the event drew a good contingent of young hoopsters compete for a shot at district, state, regional and national contests. Sponsored by Hood River Elks Lodge 1507, winners of each group get an expenses-paid trip to the district competition in Hermiston. The national ftnals will be held at the Basketball Hall of Fame on April 10-13 in Springfield, Mass.
This year’s competitors winners are as follows: Teigan Slatt (girls 8-9), Hunter Hough (boys 10-11), Chloe Kurahara (girls 12-13), Luke Harter (boys 12-13). These winners compete in Hermiston Dec. 15. Winners of that contest will compete in the state event in Salem Feb. 8 and winners of state will move on to nationals.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Dec. 2
- Death notices for Dec. 2
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge