Saturday, November 30, 2013
Giovani Magana, Quique Rueda, Edgar Villegas and Joel Aberg represent Hood River Valley High School on the recently announced Class 5A All-State soccer team. Magana, a sophomore, received the top honor as the 5A Player of the Year — a first for the HRVHS soccer program — for his role in the Eagles’ historic season that ended with a trip to the state finals.
Magana led the Eagles with 17 goals and 13 assists in the team’s 16-2-1 season, highlighted by a thrilling three-goal performance that secured a 3-1 overtime win against Woodburn to carry HRV to a first-ever state championship match. The Eagles lost 2-0 to Summit to finish second on the season.
Magana and Rueda, a senior goalkeeper, were named to the 5A First Team, while Villegas and Aberg, both seniors, were named to the Second Team. The All-State teams are selected by vote from the state’s coaches.
5A Coach of the Year honors went to Summit’s Ron Kidder.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge