Saturday, November 30, 2013
Giovani Magana, Quique Rueda, Edgar Villegas and Joel Aberg represent Hood River Valley High School on the recently announced Class 5A All-State soccer team. Magana, a sophomore, received the top honor as the 5A Player of the Year — a first for the HRVHS soccer program — for his role in the Eagles’ historic season that ended with a trip to the state finals.
Magana led the Eagles with 17 goals and 13 assists in the team’s 16-2-1 season, highlighted by a thrilling three-goal performance that secured a 3-1 overtime win against Woodburn to carry HRV to a first-ever state championship match. The Eagles lost 2-0 to Summit to finish second on the season.
Magana and Rueda, a senior goalkeeper, were named to the 5A First Team, while Villegas and Aberg, both seniors, were named to the Second Team. The All-State teams are selected by vote from the state’s coaches.
5A Coach of the Year honors went to Summit’s Ron Kidder.
More like this story
- Gorge quilters featured in area shows this summer and fall
- Entertainment Update for July 30
- ‘American Pickers’ seeks local troves
- Richard Tillinghast concert at library Aug 10
- Gorge Soup art grant applications due Aug. 20
- Elections 2016: Gudman talks state treasurer bid during Hood River visit
- Ways of the Wind: July weather a windfall
- ‘Officer Friendly’ Sergeant Jesse Flem retires after 30 years
- Summer construction closes roads in Mount Hood National Forest
- Chief Wells resigns from Fire Dept.
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge