Saturday, November 30, 2013
Giovani Magana, Quique Rueda, Edgar Villegas and Joel Aberg represent Hood River Valley High School on the recently announced Class 5A All-State soccer team. Magana, a sophomore, received the top honor as the 5A Player of the Year — a first for the HRVHS soccer program — for his role in the Eagles’ historic season that ended with a trip to the state finals.
Magana led the Eagles with 17 goals and 13 assists in the team’s 16-2-1 season, highlighted by a thrilling three-goal performance that secured a 3-1 overtime win against Woodburn to carry HRV to a first-ever state championship match. The Eagles lost 2-0 to Summit to finish second on the season.
Magana and Rueda, a senior goalkeeper, were named to the 5A First Team, while Villegas and Aberg, both seniors, were named to the Second Team. The All-State teams are selected by vote from the state’s coaches.
5A Coach of the Year honors went to Summit’s Ron Kidder.
More like this story
- Service announcement for Nov. 25
- Yesteryears: Postal Route 6 added to HR Postal Service 1975
- Art Sale and Show at CCA
- Wy’east lists first-quarter honor roll
- How to Help, updated for Nov. 25
- Friends of Mt. Adams host ‘Cougar Creek burn’ forum
- Freeze Frames
- Daily Bread: The parting gift
- Travelogue: Family’s two-year sojourn in Bangkok connects them to the people
- Ornament sale benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge