Saturday, November 30, 2013
Giovani Magana, Quique Rueda, Edgar Villegas and Joel Aberg represent Hood River Valley High School on the recently announced Class 5A All-State soccer team. Magana, a sophomore, received the top honor as the 5A Player of the Year — a first for the HRVHS soccer program — for his role in the Eagles’ historic season that ended with a trip to the state finals.
Magana led the Eagles with 17 goals and 13 assists in the team’s 16-2-1 season, highlighted by a thrilling three-goal performance that secured a 3-1 overtime win against Woodburn to carry HRV to a first-ever state championship match. The Eagles lost 2-0 to Summit to finish second on the season.
Magana and Rueda, a senior goalkeeper, were named to the 5A First Team, while Villegas and Aberg, both seniors, were named to the Second Team. The All-State teams are selected by vote from the state’s coaches.
5A Coach of the Year honors went to Summit’s Ron Kidder.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
- Oregon Parks takes input on adding tribal governments to veterans grant programs
- Sheriff Log, Nov. 5 to 18
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge