Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Hood River County School District recently recognized state math award recipient Barbara Hoikka.
Hoikka was selected in August by the Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics as outstanding math teacher or leader for Area 12.
Hoikka teaches sixth-grade math and science at Wy’east Middle School. She comes from a family line of public educators. Both of her parents are former teachers from the Hood River County School District. Her father, Roy Nellermoe, taught her in three of his math classes at Hood River Valley High School where she graduated with a college prep math major.
She attributes her love of math to her father, who would always ask her at home each night whether she had done her math homework.
Hoikka has been a leader in the transition to the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, according to HRCSD Human Resources Director Kevin Noreen. She has helped at the state level writing sixth-grade common core assessments and currently uses those assessments in her class.
“Barbara also is not a stranger to technology and embraces it in her classroom,” Noreen said.
“If you go on her website, she has put up short videos for students to access if they run into trouble at home.”
Recently, Hoikka showed a video of a Long Division Song, with arm movements, that she developed to help students on long division.
More like this story
- Service announcements for July 22:
- YESTERYEARS: New Safeway store on Second and Cascade expected in 1947
- Pritchett, Haskins to wed
- Roots and Branches: Cherry Harvest
- Pick of the Week: Children’s Park public meeting July 20
- Travelogue: Panama
- Another Voice: Juntos program ‘critical to success of students in their education’
- Editor's Notebook: By George, one’s own name is a basic sweet spot in your sense of identity
- Letters to the Editor for July 19
- Another Voice: Preserve our agricultural heritage by making Tanner Ranch a park
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge