Saturday, October 5, 2013
The Hood River County Library will celebrate its 100th anniversary on Friday, Oct. 11, with a free, all-ages Great Gatsby party starting at 7 p.m.
The library will transform itself back in time to the great Roaring ’20s era of jazz, flappers and great American literature, especially the 1925 novel “The Great Gatsby,” by F. Scott Fitzgerald. A no-host bar is sure to provide a speakeasy atmosphere.
Attendees are encouraged to dress up in period clothing, as unique Gatsby-themed prizes will be awarded for several age/gender categories. A photo booth will be on hand to capture the occasion. A special downstairs kids area with special activities will be set up, too.
Need a refresher on clothing styles when putting together your outfit for a night on the town? For men, it’s hats, bow ties and vests. For women, think fringe.
“A limited amount of costume items will be available at the door, and we’ll have some long bead necklaces for the ladies, too,” said library clerk Joanne Gibeaut.
Swing and jazz music will be played by the Ben Bonham Jazz Trio in the Carnegie upstairs portion of the library. Recently, caster wheels were installed on the large bookshelves in that area, so they can easily be pushed over to the side. That means plenty of room for dancing.
Guests can also enjoy finger food, desserts and an assortment of refreshments.
Builders of the Hood River County Library broke ground on the new facility on Oct. 11, 1913, an achievement made possible by a $17,500 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation of New York. The building opened to the public in 1914.
The library centennial party is made possible by many local sponsors: Carol’s Country Pies, Columbia Gorge Hotel, Dog River Coffee, Friends of the Hood River County Library, Harley Judd Photography, Hood River County Library Foundation, Hood River Hotel, Husum Highland Bed and Breakfast, Rosauers, Taste of the Gorge, Volcanic Bottle Shoppe, and Waucoma Bookstore.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge