Saturday, October 5, 2013
Grominator skate comp
The fourth-annual Grominator skateboarding contest is Saturday at the Hood River skate park. Registration will run from 9-10 a.m. with the contest to follow for kids ages 15 and younger.
Contests include highest ollie, longest manual, most kickflips, hippy jump, keyhole contest, bowl jam and best trick on the Tombstone with a large array of prizes up for grabs.
Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day
As if you needed an excuse to get outside and enjoy a healthy activity with friends and family, Saturday is the official Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day. To celebrate the 10th-annual International Mountain Bicycling Association occasion, events are being organized across the country, including one in Cascade Locks on the easyCLIMB trail system just east of town. Starting Saturday at 4 p.m., the free event will include food and music, trail tours, a skills course, bike repair, a raffle and much more running until about 6 p.m., with campfire activities to follow. Riders should bring bikes and helmets, headlamps for the headlamp parade and a chair for post-riding relaxation around a campfire.
The easyCLIMB trail system is great for riders of all ability levels. The two-mile loop is located on flat and scenic terrain overlooking the Columbia River and Government Cove. It is located at the end of Cramblett Way, off of NW Forest Lane a couple miles east of downtown Cascade Locks. Pre-registered participants will receive a NWTA glass, stickers and kid helmet, if needed. Register at www.nw-trail.org/2013TKMBD.
More like this story
- History Museum offers chance to ‘step back in time’
- Yesteryears: Hood River County Fair draws record crowds in 1986
- FFA, 4-H livestock auction July 29
- Burn ban? No problem, no smoke, if you have a ‘burn box’
- Friends of Mount Adams guide hikes on Sept. 10
- Gehrig’s Chevron hits 70 year mark
- Sheriff Log, July 17 to 23
- Police Log, June 27 to July 8
- Letters to the Editor for July 27
- Local Impact: United Way helps, 'one person at a time'
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge