Wednesday, October 9, 2013
The essential photographic term “aperture” means opening, and this weekend’s Convention of the Columbia Council of Camera Clubs creates a wide opening for anyone interested in learning more about the subject.
Gorge Photography Club hosts the 55th annual convention of the Columbia Council of Camera Clubs Oct. 11-13 at the Best Western Hood River Inn.
“We want to share, teach and enjoy photography,” said Hood River’s Gary Fields, convention co-chair with Art Larson. Clubs take turns putting on the conventions, but this is the first time in 10 years that the Gorge club has hosted it.
Thirty-two clubs from the Northwest, California and Canada will be represented. Scheduled are 13 training sessions lead by nationally known photographers, field trips, displays of award winning images and prints, and vendor and sponsor showcases.
Field trips include Western Antique Aeroplane and Automobile Museum, Starvation Creek, and the wind turbines east of The Dalles.
Keynote speakers include award-winning Richard Hallman of Hood River and Paul Bannick. Bannick’s Friday night talk on Pursuit of Great Bird Photos is free and open to the public.
“It is an outstanding opportunity for members of the community who enjoy photography to join the event,” Fields said.
Registration and information about joining the club are available at gorgephotographyclub.com.
Bannick specializes in the natural history of North America with a focus on birds and habitat, creating images that foster intimacy between viewer and subject. Hallman, an adventure sports photographer gets up-close and personal with those who live on the edge of adventure sports. His work has been featured in numerous national publications including The New York Times, Sports Illustrated, Adventure and Men’s Journal.
Presenters include Gorge photographer Jim Diem on The Art of Abstracts.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge