Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Local volunteers and organizations will be conducting a leisurely and social-oriented river clean-up at the USFS boat launch in BZ Corners, beginning at 9:30 a.m. and ending at 12:30 p.m. Oct. 26.
The Friends of the White Salmon River sponsors the event, with support from the USFS Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and Republic Services (operators of the BZ Transfer Station).
Volunteers will be hand-hauling various trash and metal recyclables from the site, loading the material into pickup trucks, and transferring it to the nearby BZ Transfer Station. People will also have the opportunity to view the remote BZ Falls, and steelhead migration above this barrier.
The clean-up continues efforts by landowners and the Underwood Conservation District in 1990s, which removed hundreds of tons of automobile chassis, refrigerators and other trash dumped decades before in the vicinity of BZ Falls. Volunteers are encouraged to bring sturdy shoes, gloves and work clothes.
For details, call Steve Stampfli at 509-493-4123.
More like this story
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
- FILL THE BOOT
- 4-H Results, 2017 Hood River County Fair
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge