Saturday, October 26, 2013
A 44-year-old Lake Oswego man was found deceased Tuesday afternoon during a ground and air search at Rowena Crest Viewpoint in the Columbia River Gorge.
On Oct. 22, at approximately 11:23 a.m., an Oregon State Police trooper located an unoccupied 2013 Hyundai passenger car parked on the shoulder of the Rowena Crest Viewpoint along Highway 30 near milepost 63 east of Rowena.
The vehicle was reported as suspiciously parked at that location by an Oregon Department of Transportation employee because it had been there since the previous day where people normally do not go on overnight hikes.
The trooper contacted a family member by phone and learned they were concerned for the vehicle owner’s welfare following several recent personal events. OSP contacted Wasco County Sheriff’s Office, initiating the response of search and rescue resources, including a plane from Hood River County Sheriff’s Office, to the area.
At approximately 2 p.m., the plane’s pilot reported spotting a body about 60 feet down a cliff near where the vehicle was parked. Search and rescue personnel retrieved the body which was subsequently identified as the vehicle’s owner, Scott Anthony Reeves, 44, from Lake Oswego.
Preliminary investigation indicates Reeves intentionally fell to his death.
OSP investigated the incident with the assistance of the Wasco County Medical Examiner.
More like this story
- Service Announcement for Oct. 26: Vernon Picking
- Death Notices for Oct. 26: Mary Stinson, Wilma Bolton, Kathleen Coffey, Thomas Pierce and Evelyn Helseth
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge