Saturday, October 26, 2013
The Hood River Valley High School varsity girls soccer team fell short of claiming sole possession of the Columbia River Conference with a 1-1 tie at home Thursday against Hermiston. Although disappointing for a team that has struggled to find the back of the net much of the season, the result gives the Eagles (3-0-2 CRC, 6-4-2 overall) another shot at the title in Tuesday’s road game at The Dalles-Wahtonka.
At halftime, a short ceremony honored senior players Laura De La Torre, Miga McCurdy, Korey Cimock, Thania Torres and Anna Schlosser.
Collete Zack scored Thursday in the first half with a solid low shot after receiving a through pass from defender De La Torre. Beyond that, the girls kept Hermiston on its heels and created numerous scoring opportunities, but were unable to finish.
“Hermiston had three shots on goal to our 15, and unfortunately one of them found the back of the net,” coach Kevin Haspela said. “Technically we were strong, with the exception of finishing. We won’t last long in the state playoffs if we can’t capitalize on our chances. Certainly the girls have the technical skill to score, but we have to believe in our abilities in order to do so. If our team can find the courage to play bold, creative, and confident soccer we will perform beautifully.”
With a solid midfield presence and a defense that has allowed only one goal in the last five games, the team, ranked 5A No. 13, has the potential to advance past the opening round of the state tournament if it can find some offensive rhythm and poise it’s capable of, Haspela said.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge