Saturday, October 26, 2013
The Hood River Valley High School varsity girls soccer team fell short of claiming sole possession of the Columbia River Conference with a 1-1 tie at home Thursday against Hermiston. Although disappointing for a team that has struggled to find the back of the net much of the season, the result gives the Eagles (3-0-2 CRC, 6-4-2 overall) another shot at the title in Tuesday’s road game at The Dalles-Wahtonka.
At halftime, a short ceremony honored senior players Laura De La Torre, Miga McCurdy, Korey Cimock, Thania Torres and Anna Schlosser.
Collete Zack scored Thursday in the first half with a solid low shot after receiving a through pass from defender De La Torre. Beyond that, the girls kept Hermiston on its heels and created numerous scoring opportunities, but were unable to finish.
“Hermiston had three shots on goal to our 15, and unfortunately one of them found the back of the net,” coach Kevin Haspela said. “Technically we were strong, with the exception of finishing. We won’t last long in the state playoffs if we can’t capitalize on our chances. Certainly the girls have the technical skill to score, but we have to believe in our abilities in order to do so. If our team can find the courage to play bold, creative, and confident soccer we will perform beautifully.”
With a solid midfield presence and a defense that has allowed only one goal in the last five games, the team, ranked 5A No. 13, has the potential to advance past the opening round of the state tournament if it can find some offensive rhythm and poise it’s capable of, Haspela said.
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge