Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Veterans will receive free admission to the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center the week of Nov. 10-16 in honor of their service.
On Saturday, Nov. 16, at 12:30 p.m. author and journalist RaeLynn Ricarte will give a presentation based on her book, “Living the Oath: Warriors Take It, Families Endure It.”
Ricarte, the mother of a Marine, will discuss the process of writing the heart-stirring stories of 29 men and women from all branches of the U.S. Armed Services who have served on the front line and their families on the home front. She will be joined by a few of the people she interviewed for the book. Admission is $3.
In addition, a contribution is requested of a packaged food or personal care item to be donated to the Gorge Heroes Club, and sent to USMC Cpl. Jalyssa Nava and her Marines at Camp Leatherneck, the lead Marine base in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Camp Leatherneck supplies the little encampments that are farther out in the field.
The Gorge Heroes Club wants to make holiday boxes and is asking for hand and foot warmers, hot drink mixes, individually wrapped candy (chocolate is okay this time of year), nuts, granola bars, cookies and other snack items. The group would also like some holiday decorations so it can make the base a little more festive for the holidays. People can also drop off Christmas cards to add to the boxes if they wish.
Columbia Gorge Discovery Center is located off I-84 at exit 82, 5000 Discovery Drive, The Dalles, and is open daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, call 541-296-8600, ext. 201, or visit www.gorgediscovery.org.
More like this story
- Marimba ‘Mid Winter Party’
- YESTERYEARS: School District No. 3 projects new high school on May Street in 1926
- Are You Ready? Survival 101
- Lyle School celebrates standout science student
- Jim Drake’s Entertainment Blog: Imagining a world with no winners and no losers
- The Ale List: Sense of Place lecture focuses on ‘hoppy history’
- Free tax help through April in HR and TD
- Sheriff Log, Jan. 24 to 31
- Police Log, Jan. 25 to 31
- Public Records: Building permits, city, January 2016