Wednesday, October 30, 2013
The “Party in Pink” Zumbathon charity event in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month raised $1,150 for the Susan G. Komen For the Cure cancer fund.
A team of 15 local licensed Zumba Fitness instructors led by Alicia Beckman hosted the 90-minute Zumba Fitness event at Westside Elementary on Oct. 12.
“The positive feedback from participants all over the Gorge has been overwhelming,” Beckman said. “We broke records for attendance with 116 participants.”
Volunteers from Portland, Stevenson, White Salmon, Trout Lake, Odell, Hood River, The Dalles and La Grande gathered at Westside Elementary School to dance for the cause.
“The fundraiser resulted in a $1,150 donation to Susan G. Komen as well as an empowering and inspiring time for all present, with recognition and tribute for survivors and loved ones affected by breast cancer,” Beckman said.
The Zumba leadership team includes: Ellen Vorster, Yaritza Berrios, Araceli Elisea, Sarah Fox, Veronica Espe, Alicia Beckman, Kathy Hunsaker, Jan Loomis, Lori Wolford, Sandra Sanchez, Brenda Green, Andrea Dishman, Julie Cantrell, Amancay Maahs and Hannah Sigler.
More like this story
- Library announces Odell bus service
- Learn the art of personal storytelling
- Steelhead, Chinook fishing clinic Feb. 27
- Help library win ‘Million Page Challenge’
- Church News: Nazarene’s install new pastor
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 6
- MAILS and Marijuana: Legislators right to work to stamp out a bad, old regulation
- Entertainment Update for Feb. 6
- The Porch: Feb. 6
- ‘Pass The Pig’: HRVHS plans FFA Week events