Wednesday, October 30, 2013
The “Party in Pink” Zumbathon charity event in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month raised $1,150 for the Susan G. Komen For the Cure cancer fund.
A team of 15 local licensed Zumba Fitness instructors led by Alicia Beckman hosted the 90-minute Zumba Fitness event at Westside Elementary on Oct. 12.
“The positive feedback from participants all over the Gorge has been overwhelming,” Beckman said. “We broke records for attendance with 116 participants.”
Volunteers from Portland, Stevenson, White Salmon, Trout Lake, Odell, Hood River, The Dalles and La Grande gathered at Westside Elementary School to dance for the cause.
“The fundraiser resulted in a $1,150 donation to Susan G. Komen as well as an empowering and inspiring time for all present, with recognition and tribute for survivors and loved ones affected by breast cancer,” Beckman said.
The Zumba leadership team includes: Ellen Vorster, Yaritza Berrios, Araceli Elisea, Sarah Fox, Veronica Espe, Alicia Beckman, Kathy Hunsaker, Jan Loomis, Lori Wolford, Sandra Sanchez, Brenda Green, Andrea Dishman, Julie Cantrell, Amancay Maahs and Hannah Sigler.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge