Wednesday, October 30, 2013
The “Party in Pink” Zumbathon charity event in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month raised $1,150 for the Susan G. Komen For the Cure cancer fund.
A team of 15 local licensed Zumba Fitness instructors led by Alicia Beckman hosted the 90-minute Zumba Fitness event at Westside Elementary on Oct. 12.
“The positive feedback from participants all over the Gorge has been overwhelming,” Beckman said. “We broke records for attendance with 116 participants.”
Volunteers from Portland, Stevenson, White Salmon, Trout Lake, Odell, Hood River, The Dalles and La Grande gathered at Westside Elementary School to dance for the cause.
“The fundraiser resulted in a $1,150 donation to Susan G. Komen as well as an empowering and inspiring time for all present, with recognition and tribute for survivors and loved ones affected by breast cancer,” Beckman said.
The Zumba leadership team includes: Ellen Vorster, Yaritza Berrios, Araceli Elisea, Sarah Fox, Veronica Espe, Alicia Beckman, Kathy Hunsaker, Jan Loomis, Lori Wolford, Sandra Sanchez, Brenda Green, Andrea Dishman, Julie Cantrell, Amancay Maahs and Hannah Sigler.
More like this story
- Gorge quilters featured in area shows this summer and fall
- Entertainment Update for July 30
- ‘American Pickers’ seeks local troves
- Richard Tillinghast concert at library Aug 10
- Gorge Soup art grant applications due Aug. 20
- Elections 2016: Gudman talks state treasurer bid during Hood River visit
- Ways of the Wind: July weather a windfall
- ‘Officer Friendly’ Sergeant Jesse Flem retires after 30 years
- Summer construction closes roads in Mount Hood National Forest
- Chief Wells resigns from Fire Dept.
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge