Wednesday, September 4, 2013
Nine photos have been selected as winners of the first Columbia Gorge Parenting Education Awareness photo contest.
They are now on display in “Library Lane,” the ground floor hallway at Hood River Library in downtown Hood River.
Judges Joella Dethman, Stephan Castles and Nancey Patten selected the winning photos based on the engaging interaction of an adult and child, and catching a fun, endearing moment.
Dethman said, “We really enjoyed looking at every single one of the wonderful photos and seeing the special moments they captured.”
Photographers are Kay C. Erickson, Karen and Keith Harding, Karin Tauscher, Kate McGeeney, Brittany Moore, Irene Fields, Gary Fields, Mayra Avila and Tami Swanson.
According to Nancy Johanson Paul, parenting education coordinator at The Next Door, the photo display brings attention to the importance of parenting throughout a child’s life. The more parents and caregivers know about nurturing, child development, positive discipline and teaching values, the happier and healthier their child will be.
“Each child is unique in their personality preferences, interests, and resilience. Warm, sensitive and responsive care provides a foundation for healthy brain development,” Paul said. “Parenting is the most important job you will ever have. Parenting is learned and parenting practices are significantly influenced by your own upbringing.”
Paul said that effective early parenting helps develop cognitive and social skills and positive peer relationships.
Assisting the photo display were Heidi Venture, Anna Granados, G. Williker’s Toy Shoppe and Klindt’s Booksellers.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge