Wednesday, September 4, 2013
Nine photos have been selected as winners of the first Columbia Gorge Parenting Education Awareness photo contest.
They are now on display in “Library Lane,” the ground floor hallway at Hood River Library in downtown Hood River.
Judges Joella Dethman, Stephan Castles and Nancey Patten selected the winning photos based on the engaging interaction of an adult and child, and catching a fun, endearing moment.
Dethman said, “We really enjoyed looking at every single one of the wonderful photos and seeing the special moments they captured.”
Photographers are Kay C. Erickson, Karen and Keith Harding, Karin Tauscher, Kate McGeeney, Brittany Moore, Irene Fields, Gary Fields, Mayra Avila and Tami Swanson.
According to Nancy Johanson Paul, parenting education coordinator at The Next Door, the photo display brings attention to the importance of parenting throughout a child’s life. The more parents and caregivers know about nurturing, child development, positive discipline and teaching values, the happier and healthier their child will be.
“Each child is unique in their personality preferences, interests, and resilience. Warm, sensitive and responsive care provides a foundation for healthy brain development,” Paul said. “Parenting is the most important job you will ever have. Parenting is learned and parenting practices are significantly influenced by your own upbringing.”
Paul said that effective early parenting helps develop cognitive and social skills and positive peer relationships.
Assisting the photo display were Heidi Venture, Anna Granados, G. Williker’s Toy Shoppe and Klindt’s Booksellers.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge