Saturday, September 7, 2013
The school breakfast program is a sound investment in children. Children who eat breakfast do better in school. It is the meal that will help your child be at his/her best for learning, but sometimes children cannot eat breakfast at home. The good news is that they can get breakfast at school.
The benefits of eating breakfast are:
n It helps students be more alert.
n Students are more likely to have better behavior and get along with their peers.
n It helps children pay attention, perform problem-solving tasks, and improve memory.
n Children who eat it on a regular basis are less likely to be overweight.
n It establishes healthy habits for later in life.
School breakfast provides one-quarter of the recommended amounts of protein, calcium, iron, vitamin A and vitamin C for the day.
Breakfast at school is affordable, too. If you qualify for free or reduced-price meals, you also qualify for the breakfast program — with no additional paperwork. Here in Oregon if you qualify for reduced price meals there is no charge for breakfast.
Help your child start the day right with school breakfast!
Find out more at: http://1.usa.gov/15JxbqW
Healthy Active Hood River County is our community healthy living coalition, working to promote wellness through increased physical activity, healthy eating, tobacco use prevention and policy and environmental change. Join us at our next meeting, Sept. 10 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Hood River Aquatic Center meeting room.
More like this story
- Tips on ways to make better holiday food choices
- When preparing for back-to-school, don’t forget the after-school snacks
- ASK AN EXPERT: Now that I’ve lost the weight, how can I keep it off?
- Good economic status no guarantee of good nutritional health among kids
- Breakfast a key piece of children’s school routine
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge