Saturday, September 7, 2013
The school breakfast program is a sound investment in children. Children who eat breakfast do better in school. It is the meal that will help your child be at his/her best for learning, but sometimes children cannot eat breakfast at home. The good news is that they can get breakfast at school.
The benefits of eating breakfast are:
n It helps students be more alert.
n Students are more likely to have better behavior and get along with their peers.
n It helps children pay attention, perform problem-solving tasks, and improve memory.
n Children who eat it on a regular basis are less likely to be overweight.
n It establishes healthy habits for later in life.
School breakfast provides one-quarter of the recommended amounts of protein, calcium, iron, vitamin A and vitamin C for the day.
Breakfast at school is affordable, too. If you qualify for free or reduced-price meals, you also qualify for the breakfast program — with no additional paperwork. Here in Oregon if you qualify for reduced price meals there is no charge for breakfast.
Help your child start the day right with school breakfast!
Find out more at: http://1.usa.gov/15JxbqW
Healthy Active Hood River County is our community healthy living coalition, working to promote wellness through increased physical activity, healthy eating, tobacco use prevention and policy and environmental change. Join us at our next meeting, Sept. 10 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Hood River Aquatic Center meeting room.
More like this story
- Tips on ways to make better holiday food choices
- When preparing for back-to-school, don’t forget the after-school snacks
- ASK AN EXPERT: Now that I’ve lost the weight, how can I keep it off?
- Good economic status no guarantee of good nutritional health among kids
- Breakfast a key piece of children’s school routine
- Yesteryears: Postal Route 6 added to HR Postal Service 1975
- Art Sale and Show at CCA
- Wy’east lists first-quarter honor roll
- How to Help, updated for Nov. 25
- Friends of Mt. Adams host ‘Cougar Creek burn’ forum
- Freeze Frames
- Daily Bread: The parting gift
- Travelogue: Family’s two-year sojourn in Bangkok connects them to the people
- Ornament sale benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Gorge Owned presents ‘Glacier Caves of the Pacific Northwest’
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge