Saturday, September 7, 2013
The Historic Columbia River Highway, U.S. 30, will be closed Monday, Sept. 9, while crews make repairs to the bridge at Latourell Falls.
The closure will be in place from 12:01 a.m. Monday, Sept. 9, until 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 10. The eastbound road will be closed at Latourell Falls, although the falls parking lot will remain open.
The westbound road will be closed at Crown Point, although Vista House and Crown Point will remain open.
The repairs are part of a series of road improvements in the project restoring the 600-foot viaduct surrounding Vista House, which is part of the Oregon State Parks system. The project, scheduled for completion by fall 2013, will see occasional lane closures in September and October.
The viaduct and its 29 support columns were deteriorating and without restoration, the road would have required weight restrictions that would have kept tourist buses, RVs and other large vehicles off this section of the road.
The road, now called the Historic Columbia River Highway, opened in 1916. Two years later, Vista House opened at the Crown Point summit 733 feet above the Columbia River. Crown Point typically receives more than half a million visitors a year.
For more information, visit http://www.wfl.fh-wa.dot.gov/projects/or/crownpoint.
More like this story
- Heights house fire roars up Friday
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge