Saturday, September 7, 2013
Collette Zack had two goals and Jade Schumacher and Mona Diaz had one apiece Tuesday evening in the Hood River Valley High School varsity girls soccer team’s season-opener at Rex Putnam. The 4-0 win came after a tight first half that ended with the Eagles up 1-0 off Shumacher’s goal.
With assistance, Zack broke the game open for the Eagles with a goal less than a minute into the second half and another at the 60-minute mark assisted by Korey Cimock. Freshman Mona Diaz made it 4-0 with a goal off an assist by freshman Cielo Rivera.
The team was led defensively by Sophie Grace and Jenissa Ramierez and at the midfield by Hannah Bergeman and Lily Zega. Vanessa Silva and Sophia Marble combined for the shutout in goal.
The girls travel to Sandy Sept. 10, followed by home games Sept. 12 and 17, both 4:30 p.m. at Westside Elementary School.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Horizon Christian ‘changing skyscape’ with new building in 2006
- Teen pleads not guilty to stabbing HR woman
- Hearings begin this week on Longview coal terminal
- White River campground closed
- EnviroGorge announces bird quiz
- Letters to the Editor for May 25
- Santa Cruz, Fetkenhour April ‘Students of the Month’
- Picard resigns from Hood River city council over STR issue
- Cascade Locks city council continuing with Nestlé plans despite passage of 14-55
- An early exit for HRV boys lax, but not a disappointment
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge