Wednesday, September 11, 2013
Columbia Center for the Arts Stage Troupe invites community members to audition for Barbara Robinson’s “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever,” an uproarious story about a Christmas pageant gone awry. The play will be directed by Kathleen Morrow.
Auditions will be in the theater at Columbia Center for the Arts, 215 Cascade Ave., Hood River, Saturday, Sept. 21, from 10 a.m. to noon, and Sunday, Sept. 22, from 3-5 p.m., with callbacks on Monday, Sept. 23, 6 p.m. (if necessary).
Performances will be held Dec. 12-14 and 19-20 at 7:30 p.m., with two matinees: Sunday, Dec. 15, and Saturday, Dec. 21, at 2 p.m.
In this hilarious Christmas tale, an unwilling mother recruited to put on a church Christmas pageant is faced with casting the Herdman kids — probably the most inventively awful kids in history. You won’t believe the mayhem — and the fun — when the “worst kids in town” collide with the Christmas story head on.
Those auditioning will read from the script.
(Note that when ages are listed, they mean “able to play” those ages.)
Mother (Grace Bradley): flustered but trying to remain calm
Father (Bob Bradley): a steadying influence
Beth Bradley: the narrator, strong voice and presence, 10-14
Charlie Bradley: ordinary kid brother, 8-9
Ralph Herdman: tough, touch of adolescent cool, 12-14
Imogene Herdman: tough, loud, bossy 10-14
Leroy Herdman: tough, sure of himself, 9-12 (either boy or girl)
Claude Herdman: tough, Ollie’s partner in crime, 9-10 (either boy or girl)
Ollie Herdman: tough, Claude’s partner in crime, 8-9 (either boy or girl)
Gladys Herdman: small, tough, feisty, 7-8
Alice Wendleken: prim, proper, pain in the neck, 10-14
Mrs. Armstrong: bossy woman, managerial in voice and manner
Mrs. Slocum: pleasant, motherly woman,
Mrs. McCarthy: a younger, less imperious version of Mrs. Armstrong,
Maxine: l0-l4 – earnest, wants to do the right thing (either boy or girl)
Reverend Hopkins: either male or female
Many speaking roles for angel choir members, baby angels, shepherds
For more information contact Kathleen Morrow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge