Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Riverside Community Church invites community members to attend a new and groundbreaking adult education series entitled “Painting the Stars: Science, Religion and an Evolving Faith.”
The highly acclaimed series offers a thoughtful, evocative and awe-inspiring look into the relationship between science and faith.
The name for the series relates to a quote from Vincent Van Gogh: “When I have a terrible need of — dare I say, ‘religion’? — then I go outside at night and paint the stars.”
Guided by the wisdom and experience of leading theologians, scientists and progressive thinkers, participants will explore what it means to be part of a creative process that spans more than 13.7 billion years.
“Those who look at a star-filled sky with awe and seek to ground their faith in a sense of mystery and wonder will find this to be a rich and meaningful series,” said Rev. Vicky Stifter, pastor of Riverside Church. “The exploration of science and faith is especially timely as we grapple with the destruction of so much of the created world.”
The Sunday morning series will begin Sept. 22 at 9 a.m. All gatherings will take place at Riverside Community Church, United Church of Christ, Fourth and State streets in Hood River.
For more information or to register, contact the church office at 541-386-1412.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Westside forum July 26
- Fair Time: HOOD RIVER COUNTY FAIR — ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- YESTERYEARS: ‘Lassie’ films in HR in 1947
- Daily Bread: Blame it on The Moon
- McAlexanders celebrate 50th anniversary
- Hood River Library hosts Death Café
- Police Log, July 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, July 16 to 22
- Biologists give mixed news for Columbia steelhead
- Pet of the Week: Charlie is happy and playful
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge