Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Riverside Community Church invites community members to attend a new and groundbreaking adult education series entitled “Painting the Stars: Science, Religion and an Evolving Faith.”
The highly acclaimed series offers a thoughtful, evocative and awe-inspiring look into the relationship between science and faith.
The name for the series relates to a quote from Vincent Van Gogh: “When I have a terrible need of — dare I say, ‘religion’? — then I go outside at night and paint the stars.”
Guided by the wisdom and experience of leading theologians, scientists and progressive thinkers, participants will explore what it means to be part of a creative process that spans more than 13.7 billion years.
“Those who look at a star-filled sky with awe and seek to ground their faith in a sense of mystery and wonder will find this to be a rich and meaningful series,” said Rev. Vicky Stifter, pastor of Riverside Church. “The exploration of science and faith is especially timely as we grapple with the destruction of so much of the created world.”
The Sunday morning series will begin Sept. 22 at 9 a.m. All gatherings will take place at Riverside Community Church, United Church of Christ, Fourth and State streets in Hood River.
For more information or to register, contact the church office at 541-386-1412.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Elks’ Oktoberfest returns Sept. 23
- Roots and Branches: There is no masking care
- YESTERYEARS: Odell Sanitation District opens bids for new plant in 1967
- Wy’east class of ’67 celebrates 50-year reunion
- Foster Parenting: Simple answers to a challenging task
- Success is one caring adult away
- Pet of the Week: Bojangles looking for an active family
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 20 edition
- ‘Overwhelming enthusiasm’: Community comes together for firefighters
- Parkhurst Place plans ‘thank you’ this week for fire first responders
Governor visits Hood River during fire
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown visited Hood River Hotel Thursday morning, Sept. 14, discussing economic impacts of the Eagle Creek fire with local business leaders. Attendees included Sen. Chuck Thomsen, Mayor Paul Blackburn, and business representatives from Celilo Restaurant, Double Mountain Brewery and Cascade Locks' The Renewal Workshop. For updates on the fire, stay tuned at www.hoodrivernews.com. Enlarge