Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Riverside Community Church invites community members to attend a new and groundbreaking adult education series entitled “Painting the Stars: Science, Religion and an Evolving Faith.”
The highly acclaimed series offers a thoughtful, evocative and awe-inspiring look into the relationship between science and faith.
The name for the series relates to a quote from Vincent Van Gogh: “When I have a terrible need of — dare I say, ‘religion’? — then I go outside at night and paint the stars.”
Guided by the wisdom and experience of leading theologians, scientists and progressive thinkers, participants will explore what it means to be part of a creative process that spans more than 13.7 billion years.
“Those who look at a star-filled sky with awe and seek to ground their faith in a sense of mystery and wonder will find this to be a rich and meaningful series,” said Rev. Vicky Stifter, pastor of Riverside Church. “The exploration of science and faith is especially timely as we grapple with the destruction of so much of the created world.”
The Sunday morning series will begin Sept. 22 at 9 a.m. All gatherings will take place at Riverside Community Church, United Church of Christ, Fourth and State streets in Hood River.
For more information or to register, contact the church office at 541-386-1412.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge