Wednesday, September 18, 2013
“Pig Bowl,” a benefit touch football game, gains a Hood River connection this year when the carnival-like event plays out Sept. 28 at Wahtonka Field in The Dalles.
The game pits teams of Oregon and Washington law enforcement officers (hence the use of the slang term) and court and probation workers in a good-natured contest for a good cause.
Game time is 7 p.m., and admission is $3 per person or $10 per family. There’ll be bounce houses, barbecue for sale, and more activities for the entire family.
Pig Bowl has a long history of raising funds for a local family with need of help in paying for medical bills or other support.
This year, for the first time, organizers chose to help two families, and are hoping that the targeted $20,000 can go to each.
Recipients this year will be:
n Kadee Herrington of Dallesport, who is facing medical bills as a single mother of two young children. Her husband, Tom, died in a snowmobile accident in 2013.
n Donovan Doroski, 19, of Hood River, is a Hood River Valley High School graduate who has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Individuals and businesses are encouraged to “score points” before the game.
“We make the majority of our money before the game even starts,” said Michael Holloran, a co-organizer, and player, who works as a state trooper.
“I’m excited to get Hood River involved. We have expanded our base this year. I’m hoping now that we have a Hood River person we’re helping, maybe we can get more people on board,” Holloran said.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge