Saturday, September 21, 2013
The ASPIRE program at Hood River Valley High School is seeking volunteers to help encourage all students to further their education, set goals and achieve career dreams.
ASPIRE (Access to Student Assistance Programs in Reach of Everyone) trains and matches ASPIRE volunteers with students to research, identify colleges or technical schools, and locate scholarship opportunities. The program brings together students, school staff, community volunteers and parents to help students overcome obstacles to continuing their education.
Lisa Brookshier, the Columbia regional access specialist for the ASPIRE program, will be the trainer for the first session on Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. in the Hood River Valley High School library.
Participants will learn about the goals for ASPIRE, how to advise students, and tips to create a successful volunteer experience.
The second session will be taught by Lisa Roberts, the high school ASPIRE coordinator, on Oct. 1, at 7 p.m. in the HRVHS computer lab.
This training will teach volunteers how to use the Oregon Career Information System and Naviance to assist students in their quest to further education.
To sign up or learn about other ASPIRE training opportunities, contact Roberts in the SUMMIT Center at the high school at 541-387-5034, ext. 3, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Lorang Fine Art open house will be Oct. 4
- Body of missing paddle boarder found in Columbia River
- Lummi Totem visits Hood River
- Living with Smoke
- Toward a healthier HRV: Health Center serves students this fall
- CL Port hosts Aug. 29 Bridge of the Gods walk
- Lost hiker, 75, found safe at Laurance Lake
- Brian Stenberg returns to his roots as Horizon’s new A.D.
- In its fifth running, Paddle Challenge is bigger than ever
- Cougar Creek fire creeps north
Helicopter searches for hiker
BLACKHAWK helicopter flies over Mt. Hood National Forest near Laurance Lake on Friday, Aug. 21. The military aircraft was called in to help police seek a missing hiker from The Dalles. Enlarge