Saturday, September 21, 2013
Hood River’s Dave Nunn was honored earlier this month at the Association of Wind & Water Sports Industries annual awards ceremony at the SURF EXPO trade show in Florida. Nunn, owner of Windance Boardshop in Hood River, was called to stage during the festivities as the recipient of the Windsurfing Retailer of the Year award.
AWSI members are made up of all the windsurf/kite/SUP distributors and manufacturers. Each votes on who they think was the year’s top retailer, rider and manufacturer for each of the three industries.
“I was stoked when this year’s spokesman, the legendary Dave Kalama, called out Windance for the Windsurfing Retailer of the Year,” commented Nunn. “I ended up on the stage and had to make an impromptu and totally unprepared speech in which I told the whole crowd “Windsurfing is here to stay,” which pleasantly got a good cheer from the crowd.”
Nunn said his staff and customer base deserve thanks for their part in making Windance award-worthy.
“I have a fantastic team of staff who really deserve the thanks,” he noted. “They have the stoke for the sport which permeates through the whole shop. Our customers are also to be thanked, they vote with the dollars and without that support we couldn’t survive.”
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge