Saturday, September 28, 2013
The Elks “Most Valuable Student” applications are now available online at www.elks.org/enf/scholars/applymvs.fcm.
The Elks National Foundation will award 500 four-year scholarships.
Applicants will be judged on scholarship, leadership and financial need, and winners receive local funds and are eligible for the national scholarships.
The deadline for local applications is Dec. 6. Applications will advance through local, district and state competitions to reach national judging. The top 20 finalists will be vying for two first-place awards of $50,000; two second-place awards of $40,000; and two third-place awards of $30,000. The remaining 14 finalists will receive awards of $20,000. The 480 runners-up will receive fifth-place scholarships of $4,000. This does not include the money received from local, district or state.
For application and eligibility details, contact Linda Sanders, scholarship chairman, at 541-490-0709.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge