Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Oregon State Police cited a Yakima, Wash., man following a Sunday afternoon motorcycle crash along the eastbound lanes of Interstate 84 near Rowena that occurred when the motorcyclist was attempting to elude an OSP trooper.
On March 30, at approximately 3:50 p.m., an OSP trooper attempted to stop a recklessly operated motorcycle eastbound on I-84 near milepost 68 west of Mosier after initially confirming it was traveling 110 m.p.h. in a 65-m.p.h. speed zone approaching the trooper from behind. The motorcyclist attempted to elude eastbound at a high rate of speed and the trooper lost sight of the motorcycle east of Mosier as troopers also began to set up in The Dalles area to assist if needed.
About ten minutes later, Klickitat County, Washington 911 received a call from an unidentified man saying he was hurt in a motorcycle crash while attempting to elude police in Oregon. The man wasn’t able to provide an exact location before his cellphone call was dropped and ended.
OSP and Wasco County Sheriff’s Office started checking the area between The Dalles and Mosier. An OSP sergeant traveling westbound spotted the motorcycle crash scene and injured man across the freeway about 4:03 p.m. near milepost 76 west of the Rowena interchange. The sergeant stopped, ran across the freeway and requested medical respond as he started initial emergency care. The motorcycle had left the freeway coming out of a sharp left curve and collided head-on with a tree.
The motorcyclist, Kenneth S. Maravelias, 27, was transported by LifeFlight to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland with serious, non-life threatening injuries. He was wearing a protective helmet. On March 31, OSP cited Maravelias to appear in Wasco County Circuit Court for felony attempt to elude on a vehicle, reckless driving, no valid operator license and other traffic violations.
More like this story
- Library Tree
- Yesteryears: Phase one of new skate park slated to begin in September 1996
- Around the Gorge: Genealogy and more scheduled for Gorge-area venues
- ‘Rock, Paper, Scissors’ Friday
- Archers urged beware of fire dangers, note new regulations
- Idlewilde Cemetery ‘residents’ are not forgotten, thanks to Cemetery Tales
- Roots and Branches: Drums, song carry Minoru Yasui’s message forward
- Washington responders to get notice of oil train shipments
- Oregon Poet Laureate advising Celilo Park project
- Historic Highway trail piece opens Sept. 24
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge