Wednesday, April 9, 2014
The community can gather to “Be a Hero” for the Matt McCabe family of Hood River on April 12 with a Zumbathon charity event from 9-10:30 a.m. at Westside Elementary School, 3685 Belmont Drive. No tickets are needed; donations are accepted at the door.
In addition to all-ages Zumba Fitness fun, there will be an inflatable bounce house, face painting, glitter tattoo art and balloon sculptures, photo booth, and raffle prizes.
The event helps 40-year-old Matt McCabe, his wife Jillian, and their 5-year-old autistic son, London. Last September Matt was hit suddenly with stroke-like symptoms that were first diagnosed as multiple sclerosis; further testing revealed an inoperable apricot-sized mass on his brain stem.
“He deteriorated rapidly and was close to death for several long weeks, but through amazing new therapies and extensive treatment at Providence St. Vincent and MCMC in The Dalles, he is slowly making an incredible recovery,” said Alicia Beckman, family friend, Zumba instructor and event organizer.
Beckman said McCabe’s sudden and total disability resulted in a total loss of income.
“Their financial needs are great while they wait for federal assistance to come through, and the goal of this event is to deliver an over-the-top family fun experience that enables the community to donate generously. One-hundred percent of the proceeds will benefit the McCabe charity fund.”
Learn more at helpmatt.org.
Sponsors are Zumba in the Hood with Alicia and Ellen and local members of the Zumba instructor network, Manja Warner of Shining Faces Face Painting, Hood River artist Courtney Berens (photo booth), lighting and sound by DJ Alex Sandoval, and design by Beckman Legacy LLC.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge