Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Bringing together some of Portland’s finest musicians, this is a true celebration to Joni Mitchell and her 70 glorious years (and counting!) on this planet making music that just gets better and better. Get ready for Woman of Heart and Mind on Friday, April 18, at 7:30 p.m. at Columbia Center for the Arts.
The group features folk-funk-blues diva Anne Weiss (Shawn Colvin, Richie Havens, Dar Williams, Ani DiFranco), rock-folk goddess Kris Deelane, soul-jazz chanteuse Bre Gregg (Midnight Honey) and folk-poet Paula Sinclair (Discovering William Stafford).
This year, they have added JP Garau who is one of the first call pianists for the Northwest’s best acts, including Patrick Lamb and Ellen Whyte.
Women of Heart and Mind features two sets of Joni Mitchell’s finest creations. The first set is a mish-mash of some of Joni’s most poignant tunes, including “Help Me,” “Last Time I Saw Richard,” “Coyote,” “Free Man in Paris” and “Both Sides Now.”
The second set features covers of every song from Mitchell's most popular album, “Blue” which was released in 1971. “Blue” was the artist's fourth album and it is iconic in the minds and hearts of her millions of fans. In true Joni Mitchell style, the album is at once insightful, playful and, yes, blue.
Tickets are $15 for adults, $12 for students and seniors (62+) and are available at Columbia Arts, Waucoma Bookstore and online at columbiaarts.org.
Columbia Center for the Arts is located at 215 Cascade Ave. in downtown Hood River.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
- Oregon Parks takes input on adding tribal governments to veterans grant programs
- Sheriff Log, Nov. 5 to 18
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge